My first Long Range rig

pburton

I have been a member of this site for a couple of years. Most of my rifles have been factory with a couple of upgrades. But I finally decided to build a custom. It is built off a 700 action that has been blue printed, trued bolt lugs, Bartlien 26" barrel, HS Precision stock, Timney trigger, Cerakoted matte black. Nightforce scope and mounts. It looks OK. I am not sure I like the mounts/scope rings. Seems way to high to me. But here it is. Give me your honest opinions.

Attachments

• DSCN0838.jpg
    DSCN0838.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCN0841.jpg
    DSCN0841.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 77
The rifle is a 7mm rem mag. The rings are extra high which was recommended to me from the store I bought the scope from. I like my scope lower as well. I am sure high rings would work. But I wonder if medium height rings will?

It looks as you have plenty of room from bell to barrel. I would try low's. Or you will need to add a cheek rest to your stock.

I would like to get this scope much lower. I think I am going to go with a good 20moa rail and some other rings. I originally went with the system on it to keep the weight down. But this rifle is already light enough. A few extra oz will not hurt anything. The problem is that there are no stores around her that carry decent rings to try the different heights. So I have to order them and it is without fail that I order the wrong height. It gets expensive and time consuming. I have to come up with something pretty quick. My tags open on Oct 5. So I have a lot of work to do in the next month to get this rifle ready to go. Looks like every weekend at the range. :)

Went out and put 15 rounds through it today. It shoots great but kicks like a mule... I have never had a 7mm rem mag kick this hard. It must be the stock. But it shoots great. Here is my first 5 shot group. The first shot was a flier and my fault. Just getting used to a rifle. But the last four shots look pretty good. This is with 168 grain Berger VLD's.

Attachments

• IMG_0262.jpg
    IMG_0262.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 75
The rifle is a 7mm rem mag. The rings are extra high which was recommended to me from the store I bought the scope from. I like my scope lower as well. I am sure high rings would work. But I wonder if medium height rings will?
Love the rig but I agree on the rings.

As a rule I like my scopes mounted as low as possible with just maybe 1/16th - 1/8" Clearance on the bell including scope covers.

Eye balling it I think either medium or low rings will work for you. Personally I really like the TSR rings myself and you can always sell those rings on Ebay or on the classified's here for enough to take the pain away.

If it shoots as good as it looks you've got yourself a real winner there.

Wildrose,
I appreciate the suggestion. Kind of the same lines I was thinking. But unfortunately it is going to have to wait a week or so. I broke the play budget with the build.:cool:

Oh hell I understand that ... I've gone pretty much nuts over the last couple of weeks. About the time I decided I was going to take off and go Elk Hunting with Mario and started putting together some better gear a couple of rifles and two nice scopes came up for sale at prices I flat could not say no to! gun):D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.