My first Long Range rig

Perhaps the excessive felt recoil has to do with your scope being so high. To look through it you are placing your cheek high on the stock and that might be the issue.

If you call the supplier of the rings and base you want I'll bet they can guide you towards the correct height rings. You could even supply them with a picture like you did here.

If you don't have the time or money perhaps you could add a cheek pad like this one as a temporary fix for about $35:

https://www.tacticalworks.com/Tactical-Operations-Ammo-Cheek-Pad.html

I have two of these and they adjust well to various shaped stocks and get your face higher on the rifle. and is quite comfortable.

AZShooter,
I appreciate the response. I didn't think about the scope height having anything to do with the recoil. This is the 4th 7mag that I have owned over the years and definitely the post punishing to shoot. The one thing that I did notice is that the recoil pad on this HS stock is very stiff with kind of sharp edges. I am pretty sure that this is where the bite is coming from. The problem is that HS epoxies their recoil pads on which makes it a pain to remove and replace with a better pad. I did order a new scope rail and rings which should be here in a couple of days. I won't be able to get out and shoot it until this coming weekend though to find out if it makes any difference. If not it will being going back to the smith for a muzzle brake and a new recoil pad.

I have been a member of this site for a couple of years. Most of my rifles have been factory with a couple of upgrades. But I finally decided to build a custom. It is built off a 700 action that has been blue printed, trued bolt lugs, Bartlien 26" barrel, HS Precision stock, Timney trigger, Cerakoted matte black. Nightforce scope and mounts. It looks OK. I am not sure I like the mounts/scope rings. Seems way to high to me. But here it is. Give me your honest opinions.

Looks great... most important thing for height of rings is can you look down the scope comfortably with your cheak on the stock? If not, either lower the scope or get yourself a cheek riser. Ballistics with scope height involved can all be calculated later, but of course the lower it is to the barrel the better.

How it looks is irrelevant. how it fits you is what matters. It looks like a set of lower rings would fit the average person just fine... but maybe you have a gigantic face and this is perfect... I dont know. You want a good cheek weld on the stock so your head isnt up like a prairie dog on a warm summer day. great looking rifle

I agree with both of you that how the rifle fits is the most important part. With these current high rings I am not getting a good cheek weld. The prairie dog comment made me laugh because that is exactly what I feel like currently. I did some measuring and I think low rings will work and bring that scope down to a more comfortable shooting position. Maybe this is the reason for the uncomfortable recoil that I am experiencing. Hopefully my new rings show up soon and I can continue with load development. Thanks again for the responses. As usual you all have been a great help.

AZShooter,
I appreciate the response. I didn't think about the scope height having anything to do with the recoil. This is the 4th 7mag that I have owned over the years and definitely the post punishing to shoot. The one thing that I did notice is that the recoil pad on this HS stock is very stiff with kind of sharp edges. I am pretty sure that this is where the bite is coming from. The problem is that HS epoxies their recoil pads on which makes it a pain to remove and replace with a better pad. I did order a new scope rail and rings which should be here in a couple of days. I won't be able to get out and shoot it until this coming weekend though to find out if it makes any difference. If not it will being going back to the smith for a muzzle brake and a new recoil pad.
Sharp knife or razor down to the plastic and about 2 minutes with a belt sander and you'll be ready to mount a good recoil pad on there. If you'll freeze before sanding it, it's even easier.

So, cut the rubber part of the recoil pad off. Sand the plastic portion off and then use a grind to fit recoil pad? I am not sure I understand the freezing part.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.