First Long Range Build

joepa2k3

Looking to get back into the sport of LR hunting. When I was younger, my fathers friend gave me the opportunity to take whitetail at long range with his 6mm bench gun. Since he passed (6 yrs ago), I have strayed from LR, and rifle hunting in general. I'm an avid bowhunter, and after taking quite a few deer with the bow, I do not find the enjoyment of taking a deer with a sporter rifle - just not much of challenge to me, which is why I've decided to build a LR gun.

Specs will be as follows:

Stevens 200 Action - picked up a NIB .243 for 285. I will chamber this rifle in 7mm-08 shooting 162 gr amax.
Shilen 26" barrel - 1:9 twist
Aftermarket trigger of some sort (haven't decided yet)
Thumbhole stock.
Undecided on optics as of now.

I'm excited to get back into the sport and look forward to learning from everyone on here as I progress through my build.

Thanks for all the help you have all provided already.

Everything looks good.

Optics: Take a look at Sightron SIII 8x32x50 or lower power.
Trigger: Rifle Basix is good.

You will also need good reloading equipment, range finder and wind reader, like Kestrel.

And of course, you have to think of a name of this rifle as your new girlfriend! :)

Everything looks good.

Optics: Take a look at Sightron SIII 8x32x50 or lower power.
Trigger: Rifle Basix is good.

You will also need good reloading equipment, range finder and wind reader, like Kestrel.

And of course, you have to think of a name of this rifle as your new girlfriend! :)

I will look into the Sightron. Been leaning towards Vortex, but will consider any quality opting.

My dad has a full RCBS setup, so no issues there.

Also liking the rifle basix trigger - price seems right as well as quality.

I'll be ordering my barrel Monday from the barrelman. Going with a 26" 1:9 twist Shilen.

Just wanted to post an update....and so far I couldn't be happier.

I've finally had a chance to shoot it, here are the final specs:

Stevens 200 Action
Shilen 26" barrel
Boyds VT Stock - Full Float, bedded action
Vortex HS-T 6-24x50
Stock Trigger set to 3.5lbs.

I'm still in the load development process, but right now 46.5grs of RL 17 and 154 Grain Hornady SST seems to shoot pretty well. Sub MOA - tonight had a 3 shot group stacked on top of each other right around 3/4" group.

Going to try 47gr, which is at max for the load according to my research.

A new trigger is definitely in the works, as I would rather be in the 2lb range than 3.5...but overall I am very happy with my first build.

Here are a few photos...

gun_zps040087bd.jpg

group_zps3dfbbd05.jpg

Congratulations. Nice lookin rifle and it's looks like you are going to get it dialed in. I would like to know how you like the 6-24 HS-T. I am a Vortex fan myself and have two 4-16 HS long range on my hunting rifles. Nearly bought the same scope you have but they suddenly didn't have any in stock. Good shootin!

How come we don't have a thumbs-up smilie available???

Congratulations. Nice lookin rifle and it's looks like you are going to get it dialed in. I would like to know how you like the 6-24 HS-T. I am a Vortex fan myself and have two 4-16 HS long range on my hunting rifles. Nearly bought the same scope you have but they suddenly didn't have any in stock. Good shootin!

How come we don't have a thumbs-up smilie available???

The 6-24 HS-T was a brand new release....I pre-ordered and got it fairly quickly. From what I gathered, the only main difference between the HS-T and the PS-T is the HS-T has a wire reticle while the PS-T is an etched reticle. So far I like it, but I haven't had a chance to shoot much at distance. It was under $600 shipped, so couldn't beat the price.

As far as the rifle, the SST's shoot really well. I really wanted to shoot 162AMAXs, but they aren't available anywhere and they don't appear to be on the production list for 2014....so I went with the readily available SST's and so far I can't complain!

Just now ordered a Vortex HS-T 6-24x50 from the LRH store. They had one in stock and I couldn't resist. :)

I like the 162 A-max also. Have one full box left and I don't want to use them till I know I can get some more. I am having great results with 168 grain Berger VLD's in my 7 mag.

There was an article on accurate shooter a week or so ago. The 162 A-max will go back into production soon. I'm ready too, it's the only bullet I shoot in my long range gun.

There was an article on accurate shooter a week or so ago. The 162 A-max will go back into production soon. I'm ready too, it's the only bullet I shoot in my long range gun.

Thats good to hear. I'm going to keep shooting these SSTs for the time being...but I will pick up some AMAX's as that was what I wanted to shoot to begin with.

Just a little update...

So far, I've been happy with the SSTs, but in this game, it appears its all about trying different things to see what works the best. I wanted AMAXs, but that wasn't happening, so I was able to pick up 2 boxes of Nosler Accubond LR in 150gr. A little lighter than the SSTs with a much higher BC. I'm looking forward to working up a load and seeing how they shoot.

Rifle Basixs SAV-1 should be here any day as well!

Ok, so I finally had a chance to chrono my handloads.

Here are the specs.

Rem 9.5 primer
Nosler Brass
Hornady SST 154
46.5 gr RL 17
2.815 COAL
26" 1:9 barrel

No pressure signs shooting this load.

I chrono'd 3 shots today - cloudy day, no direct sunlight.
3020 FPS
3059 FPS
3080 FPS

IMO, these look alot higher than they should be. I have heard of guys squeezing 2850-2900 out of 162 AMAXs, but again that seems like a reach.

The chrono is brand new, so I don't think that is the issue.

Does anyone else think these are extreme velocity? Everyone says RL 17 is the magic powder for the 7-08, but this just seems wayyy to good to be true.

On the issue of velocity, each barrel is unique, and you are shooting a longer one for the caliber. The "test" barrel used by the company that published your data could have been 24 inches for a 7-08. I had a 270 Winchester that shot faster than the manual said it should, but no pressure signs whatsoever. The numbers from your chrony are also something that can be off by a few percent (when we consider what we are trying to measure and how we are trying to measure it, it is amazing that chronys can give us meaningful numbers at all), and you'll want to do trajectory validation by shooting at multiple distances. Chronographs can tell little white lies, but impacts ARE TRUTH. My own chrony shows velocities just a bit over actual, but that is just one step in the long range process.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.