My first long range rifle build, wanting suggestions

maninthemaze

Hello! I have been lurking on this website for quite a while now and have finally decided to build a new rifle. My current deer rifle is a hand-me-down 8mm mauser that shoots 1 1/2 groups at 100 yards. And that is with a boyds stock that has been pillar bedded shooting handloads. I wont even discuss what it does with factory loads. I guess WW2 was hard on this rifle. While this is fine for KY, I am planning on going out west for mulies, pronghorn and maybe even elk in the near future. So I have decided to build as much rifle as I can afford.

Anyways, I was wanting some input on my selection and any pointers you have for the equipment that I have purchased. Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

Stuff currently at the gunsmith, Dixie Precision
Stiller Tac 300
Krieger #7barrel chambered in 7wsm
Timney Calvin Elite trigger

On Order
Manners T2A
Vortex Viper FFP 6x24x50

Still need to decide on bottom metal. Haven't decided if I should go with DBM or a drop floor plate.

Like I said, any and all comments are welcome

Thanks

Kinda funny actually. I ordered the barreled action thinking that it was going to be the majority of the cost. Boy was I wrong. Everything else is the majority of the cost.

And as far as bottom metal. I was thinking that a magazine would be easier to unload than trying to drop shells out the bottom and not have them hit the floor. Seems like when I unload my Model 700 .243, I feel like I'm juggling the rounds.

Thanks

I just built my first custom and put ptg dbm on it, and I am really regretting it. I don't know why I thought I needed it cause I don't shoot any competitions. The dbm is bulky and noisy, and to be honest it really gets on my nerves. I wish there was a way to take it out and put a floor plate on it but I don't think it is cause the a5 stock is inletted for the ptg dbm. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Sounds like a nice setup. I just wonder why are you using the Tac 300 instead of the Tac 30 for a WSM cartridge??
I just installed a Manners T4 on my 7mm RM with the M-5 Stealth DBM and like it a lot. The only thing I regret is that I went with a 10rd magazine and it is HUGE!!!!! Don´t go for the big one.
I want to add that this is NOT my carrying gun, I use this one to hit steel or for deer hunting from a blind. It´s way too heavy to carry around.
PTG oberndorff steel bottom metals are nice too, I´m using one on my .338 EDGE and it´s very easy to open/close, plus it feels far better than the factory Rem 700. It has a more positive lock.

The gunsmith suggested the Tac 300 over the 30 because of my plans to use the longer VLD hunting bullets from Berger. He said the magazine box would limit my length and I wouldn't be able to get the bullets close enough to the lands.

Thanks for the tips on the magazine box. I always wondered if those 10 rounds where as big in real life as they appear in the pictures. And as far as weight goes, it's going to be my carry gun. My current coyote gun is a Savage Model 12 with a laminate stock, it's around 12 pounds. If my new rifles weight bothers me too much, I might have to have another one built in a few years.

Thanks for help everyone

The gunsmith suggested the Tac 300 over the 30 because of my plans to use the longer VLD hunting bullets from Berger. He said the magazine box would limit my length and I wouldn't be able to get the bullets close enough to the lands.

Thanks for the tips on the magazine box. I always wondered if those 10 rounds where as big in real life as they appear in the pictures. And as far as weight goes, it's going to be my carry gun. My current coyote gun is a Savage Model 12 with a laminate stock, it's around 12 pounds. If my new rifles weight bothers me too much, I might have to have another one built in a few years.

Thanks for help everyone

Regardless of the weight, you will definitely want to build a new one in the near future. You´ll see

Ok, for an update. I now have in my gun safe a brand new manners T2A and a new Vortex Viper FFP 6x24x50 scope. And I think I'm gonna go with the PTG Oberndorf bottom metal. I'm trying to get everything together so that when my barreled action is done, I can start putting things together.

Now all I need to figure out is which height rings to buy. I think I've settled on the Burris XTR rings, I just don't know if the "low" will let the scope clear the barrel. My action does come with a 20 moa rail, so the low should work, I think???

Anybody have a similar setup? Which rings do you have?

Also, how do you keep from going crazy while waiting?

Seekins rings rock. Besides, the y are made from the same aluminum as the stiller rail.
I use them On most of my rifles.

NF Ultra Lite Lows should work. I have them on my 6.5 Sherman with a 8-32X56 Sightron. Barrel is a #5 HART. Fits Nice. I think they are the .885" if I remember correctly.

Well, I'm still waiting for the barreled action to get here. The smith says that they are waiting on Stiller to ship them the action. Then it should be about a week for them to get the machining done and everything shipped to me. Anyways, the wait is killing me.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.