First Build - Looking for thoughts...

I have a rem700 Sendero SF II in 2506 that I have loved, but want to rebarrel to a long range friendly cartridge. the gun has some serious sentimental value, so I will never sell it, but just want to give her a face lift with a carbon fiber barrel, new trigger, stock etc.

I handload - at least I have all the stuff, but a new promotion and kids haven't given me much time. So some nice factory ammo is important, at least for the next few years or until I can work up a load. I am thinking about either a 280 AI or 6.5 prc.

Anything else I should consider? If I go with a PRC my current bolt face won't work, anything else I am going to replace to get it to work?

I had a man crush on the 6.5x284, but not sure what factory loads are out there.

Purpose will be range work out to 1200, deer, elk, black bears etc. out to whatever distance I feel comfortable. Right now thats about 800-900 yards. I don't believe you have to have a big magnum cartridge to kill elk, my go to rifle to slay those suckers has been a 270wsm with 145gr eldx and it has been a hammer on them...so the 143gr eldx or the 147gr eldm in the 6.5 will be fine.
If the gun holds such sentimental value then I m sorry for asking ....but what the heck is left when you get a new carbon barrel, new stock and new trigger....the old bolt? Am I missing something here?

If it meant a lot to me I would just clean it real good and put it in the back of the safe
and leave it.I have a couple I don't shoot but I won't sell! Build another. Without attachments a gun is just a tool to me.
I buy sell and trade them all the time..
I couldn't agree with you more...!

shoot I still have the first rifle I bought on my own, its a bit different now with a krieger barrel jewell trig. ptg billet bolt, still the same action and stock but I would never sell it. but it went from a 7 stw to a 7RUM and is now a 338 RUM

If the gun holds such sentimental value then I m sorry for asking ....but what the heck is left when you get a new carbon barrel, new stock and new trigger....the old bolt? Am I missing something here?
It already had a timney - the action is the heart of the gun isn't it? That is how I have always felt. Barrels are like tires, they can be used and replaced? It isn't a wall hanger pretty wood stock gun - it is a gun that has been really good to me and I have used a ton. A gun you don't shoot is like a wife you don't sleep with isn't it?

I have rifle I was planning on replacing the barrel and stock, but after seeing others comments to build a complete new rifle. Just have to make room for it now...

Keeping your bolt face the same, I would do a 280AI. I've shot with a friend and his 280AI did everything my 7WSM did but just needed a smidge more elevation. If you want to go a bit lighter, I've fallen in love with my 6.5 Addiction which would work great on a long action. I didn't have to open up my bolt face on my Sako. 147 ELD at 2900 with 4831 or 2975 with RL 26 (still working on refining this load and testing, but that's where the velocity node was) from a 24" barrel.

I have a similar rifle with sentimental value (the 7WSM mentioned above). I plan on using it for a 7RM. I had one for about 10 years and it was a great hunting round. Then I had that rifle changed over to 338WM. That's a good round, but for deer size critters I think the 7RM is better.

It already had a timney - the action is the heart of the gun isn't it? That is how I have always felt. Barrels are like tires, they can be used and replaced? It isn't a wall hanger pretty wood stock gun - it is a gun that has been really good to me and I have used a ton. A gun you don't shoot is like a wife you don't sleep with isn't it?
Nope.....some are keepsakes like the ones I inherited from father and grandfather's, some are art, some you shoot, and some are just cause...and some are projects.IMHO....sentimental to me is the gun alot more than just the action but it's just me.

I have rifle I was planning on replacing the barrel and stock, but after seeing others comments to build a complete new rifle. Just have to make room for it now...
I have always found rifles to be a great deal like used cars.... cheaper in the long run to buy new than rebuild....but for some they like the challenge I guess! Once again...just one man's opinion.

Actually....being on my fourth marriage ( yeah..no comments needed on brain power here) I often found sleeping with my gun more satisfying! LMAO....so there are similarities... having a gun you don't use....trader in!

Spruce the ol gal up. She's served you well. Regardless of what you do to it, you'll remember the rifle for what it's always been to you. No one else can tell you it's a different rifle if you know how it started out in life. Maintenance, repairs, new wheels, new motor with more horsepower etc.... same car you bought in high school with your own hard earned cash when it wasn't there

I've done exactly this on the first bolt gun I bought myself...new trigger, new stock, rebarreled, true'd action, fluted bolt, added knob, etc. I'm not saying it's the smartest or most economical route, but I couldn't see myself ever selling it, and it just seemed wrong to have a 2-3 MOA gun taking up room in the safe. The rifle shoots great now.

I've done exactly this on the first bolt gun I bought myself...new trigger, new stock, rebarreled, true'd action, fluted bolt, added knob, etc. I'm not saying it's the smartest or most economical route, but I couldn't see myself ever selling it, and it just seemed wrong to have a 2-3 MOA gun taking up room in the safe. The rifle shoots great now.
That's the main reason I worked on mine , I just didnt like they way it shot, she bugholes now :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.