First Build

Spilks

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the site and wanted to post a question regarding building a new rifle.

I have always wanted to build a long range hunting rifle primarily for deer hunting and some long range shooting for pleasure. I currently have a Christiansen Arms Mesa in 300 Wing Mag with a Leupold Mark 4 6X20 scope.

Most of my hunting is stationary from a shooting house or tripod stand, tree stand or ground. Most shots are 650 yards or less. I know that it is hard to build one gun that is "ideal" for all applications but I wish to try and build one that is suitable for most. I want the gun to be bolt action with a stock that is not to heavy but not so light/nimble like the CA rifle I have. It will be fitted with a bipod like the Javelin unit I currently have or an Axis. I do plan on going on west to hunt in next couple of years but most of this is for whitetail hunting in Tennessee.

I am thinking of building in 300 Norma with a defiance action, lilja barrel, timney or triggertech trigger, but am open to suggestions for the above mentioned as well as stock, etc.

Give me your thoughts or suggestions

Much appreciated.

Give the guys at manners a call when your ready to pick a stock. I have had some dealings with them recently, top notch in my book

If you've got a 300WM, why build a 300 Norma?

Do You reload?

How much do you shoot?

Because of the speed/flatness shooting 230 Bergers. I also have shot a few and the accuracy was impressive.

I work up loads and reload with a friend who is an avid shooter. He primarily shoots .338 Lapua from Desert Tech suppressed. He also has a 300NM Desert suppressed which I shot a doe with this afternoon at just short of 500. Was impressed with gun but also the round. However the Desert Tech is not for me for most of my hunting applications.

I have not shot a tremendous amount in the past but I am looking to do more.

I really am just thinking about building rifle and applying for suppressor.

Problem I have with my CA Mesa is the lightweight. I am not mountain hunting and do have opportunity for some long shots at my place on whitetails. Shots mostly up to 750 yards, but most of my stand sights offer shots no more than 350. I hunt from tripods and shooting houses mainly so I have good rest/braces so I would prefer a heavier gun/stock.

Again I am just beginning to think build and am open to suggestions on build and or other gun options. I have the 300 now so wanted a little bigger option.

Because of the speed/flatness shooting 230 Bergers. I also have shot a few and the accuracy was impressive.

I work up loads and reload with a friend who is an avid shooter. He primarily shoots .338 Lapua from Desert Tech suppressed. He also has a 300NM Desert suppressed which I shot a doe with this afternoon at just short of 500. Was impressed with gun but also the round. However the Desert Tech is not for me for most of my hunting applications.

Problem I have with my CA Mesa is the lightweight. I am not mountain hunting and do have opportunity for some long shots at my place on whitetails. Shots mostly up to 750 yards, but most of my stand sights offer shots no more than 350. I hunt from tripods and shooting houses mainly so I have good rest/braces so I would prefer a heavier gun/stock.

Again I am just beginning to think build and am open to suggestions on build and or other gun options. I have the 300 now so wanted a little bigger option.

Also I am currently shooting 210 Berger VLDs with 75 grains of Retumbo. Brass I have now is Nosler but waiting on some Peterson.

My .300 WM remains my go to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards. So, you got that covered. Load it with 215s and you're golden. If you want to the Berger 230 (or Sierras 230 and 240) that's a different story from your original post. You might consider the other side of the spectrum and explore the .338s (.338 RUM, .338 Edge, .338 Norma, .338 Lapua, etc) instead.

Good luck!

My .300 WM remains my go to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards. So, you got that covered. Load it with 215s and you're golden. If you want to the Berger 230 (or Sierras 230 and 240) that's a different story from your original post. You might consider the other side of the spectrum and explore the .338s (.338 RUM, .338 Edge, .338 Norma, .338 Lapua, etc) instead.

Good luck!
Thanks Feenix.

In my opinion, I would run an EH-1A or a PRS1A Manners stock. They both weigh 3 pounds and are light, but not to light. They are both adjustable.
As for the caliber and cartridge choose, the question I have is are you wanting to go bigger or smaller? The 300 win is a good do everything well on the deer and bigger spectrum and a great out west round. So i can't really see buying another 30 myself.
Your trigger, action and barrel are all great choices. I have a trigger tech diamond and it's great.

Pick out a Smith to long throat your MESA for the 215s, have that smith install a Proof 30 cal senders 9 twist 28" with the Q.D. Adapter for the Suppressor of your choice, pick out a Manners or McCheese stock of your choice.

Like me, You've already got the reloading components to do what you're talking about.

No point in chasing 100-150fps at the cost of diminishing returns & a Lapua bolt Face.

Go Forth & Prosper.

Since you have an excellent rifle now in a fine chambering, your range is 650 or under, your quarry is deer, why not go with the 6.5 Creedmore? You can stoke it with excellent factory 140s or easily load yer own. You could also go with a 7 STW, my fav. I load a 150 gr. Swift Sirocco and deer are DRT. For long shots, a long barrel is helpful. I have seen some guys at my range with 30" barrels shooting tiny groups at 300! Don't know any more about their rigs, but mine is a 26" tube and slings those 150s at 3000 plus. I am sure you could build yours to accomplish your goals.

Your first post mentions western hunting in the future, but primary use will be where you are now. For western hunts, your Mesa has you covered. For where you are now, under 350 average shots, I would shy away from another big 30 cal or a 338...you won't need it. I'd go with a heavy 6.5 of deer and steel will be your targets. I'm a fan of the 6.5x47 Lapua and the 6.5-284 Norma...but I'm biased as I have both (I also have the 300wm and the 338 Lapua).

I would look hard at 6.5 or 7mm rounds that suit what you intend to shoot. No need to go that big unless you just like throwing 230 grains at whitetail. It doesn't take that much to kill an elk out to practical ranges either.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts