First build

Murdock55

Just looking for some options and or information.
First "long range" build
6.5/284, 1 in 8 twist barrel, 4140 material Remington magnum Sporter profile
Remington 700 action, long action.
NightForce SHV 4-14x56 scope.
HS Pro 2000 stock.
Warne mounts and rings.
plus all of the usual stuff, Nosler brass Redding dies, BR2 Primers (can't find 210M's in this area) RL19, IMR 4831, IMR 7977 (try something new).
Berger 130 gr VLD hunting bullets, will be using on PA whitetail and coyote
Just looking for some insight on a good starting load.
Duck and Goose hunter for over 20+ years not into the more accurate long range stuff but as I get older walking thru the swamps lugging decoys ain't cutting it!
and to be honest this looks like fun!
p.s. have been reloading since 1973.
THANKS!

Supposedly the 6.5/284 has short barrel life and not much velocity advantage over the 260, 6.5 lapua, or creedmore. I would seriously look into a 6.5 SAUM before a 6.5/284.

I would seriously consider the 6.5 creedmoor unless you like reloading the match ammo for the Creedmoor is $23 a box and Barrel life is much longer

Be sure to buy a long enough barrel. My 6.5/284 will run 3000fps with 140 grain VLDs easy out of 26 inches. As for barrel life, they make new barrels all the time. Run it how you like, change the barrel when it gets shot out, think tires on a race car...
If you want to DIY, PacNor offers a barrel-nut setup similar to Savage for your Remington.

Thanks for the input and info.
I have a .260 Rem right now, love's the 100 gr Nosler BT bullets.
Will put these pills under 1/2" as long as I do my part.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.