First Build - Looking for thoughts...

Yes to those mods and they can be expensive. Stay with your basic weapons' capabilities, standard bolt face gives you '06 brass size and an extra cartridge in the magazine. Thus, of all the cartridges you could use, I do believe the 280 A.I. Is the most logical choice, great powder and bullet choices make this choice rational and sensible.
WW

I really like my 280 A.I. shooting the 150 Barnes TTSX at 3100 but when I build another one I will build on a 8 twist to shoot the 168 LR Barnes for the better b.c.s. Built mine light for hunting weighs 7.8lbs with scope and still doesn't kick that bad. Have a 7mag in a Montana 1999 Stainless that weighs 10 lbs complete that won't get shot much now. Anybody want it?

Why not a 6.5-06 and use all that 25-06 brass?

I like the idea of the 6.5-06 or even the 6.5-06 A Square, but.....I don't t think that the cartridge will get the horsepower that the .280AI will get and....I don't know about the availability for the ammunition. In the OP he said that he does not have time to reload at the present time.

Go 1:8 if you want to shoot 160 and up - and it will still shoot lighter bullets well too.

Definitely at least a 8" twist and 160gr factory 280 AI and heavier bullets. Some of the heavier .284"/7mm monolithics from Hammer Bullets require a minimum of a 8" twist rate, if you ever plan to load them. The 131gr Hammer Hunters can use a 9.25" twist or faster, and will handle even bull elk easily. Many here will agree that Hammer Hunter bullets are easy to develop an accurate load for, and perform awesomely on even large North American game!

From Hammer Bullets site:
".284 Cal-177g Hammer Hunter
Recommended twist rate is 1-8″ or faster
Bullet length is 1.652″
Bullet weight is 177 grains
Recommended use: Big game hunting
G7-BC=.313 estimated"
If I were carrying my 280 AI or 7mm RM in brown bear country, those are the bullets I'd have in my rifle! I'd still feel very under-gunned but, confident in my bullets' ability to penetrate and perform properly.

My completely factory Savage Axis 280 AI came with a 8" twist barrel. It shoots Nosler 280 AI 160gr AB factory ammunition well under MOA. It's new so, the barrel isn't broke in yet. I won't start reloading until I have at least 120 pieces of brass, and 120 down the barrel. I bought a case of 200 rounds, ouch! :eek: I only have 80 through it so far and expect I'll see my group diameter shrink by nearly half, by the time I finish OCW load development.

I will say that premium 280 AI ammunition is not inexpensive but, neither is quality preformed 280 AI brass! I opted for the premium loaded ammo to start with. I figured, "why not fire-form with good loads?" By the time I finish loading 280 AI brass with quality components, I'll have enough money and time invested to more than offset the cost of the factory loaded ammunition while harvesting my brass.

Definitely at least a 8" twist and 160gr factory 280 AI and heavier bullets. Some of the heavier .284"/7mm monolithics from Hammer Bullets require a minimum of a 8" twist rate, if you ever plan to load them. The 131gr Hammer Hunters can use a 9.25" twist or faster, and will handle even bull elk easily. Many here will agree that Hammer Hunter bullets are easy to develop an accurate load for, and perform awesomely on even large North American game!

From Hammer Bullets site:
".284 Cal-177g Hammer Hunter
Recommended twist rate is 1-8″ or faster
Bullet length is 1.652″
Bullet weight is 177 grains
Recommended use: Big game hunting
G7-BC=.313 estimated"
If I were carrying my 280 AI or 7mm RM in brown bear country, those are the bullets I'd have in my rifle! I'd still feel very under-gunned but, confident in my bullets' ability to penetrate and perform properly.

My completely factory Savage Axis 280 AI came with a 8" twist barrel. It shoots Nosler 280 AI 160gr AB factory ammunition well under MOA. It's new so, the barrel isn't broke in yet. I won't start reloading until I have at least 120 pieces of brass, and 120 down the barrel. I bought a case of 200 rounds, ouch! :eek: I only have 80 through it so far and expect I'll see my group diameter shrink by nearly half, by the time I finish OCW load development.

I will say that premium 280 AI ammunition is not inexpensive but, neither is quality preformed 280 AI brass! I opted for the premium loaded ammo to start with. I figured, "why not fire-form with good loads?" By the time I finish loading 280 AI brass with quality components, I'll have enough money and time invested to more than offset the cost of the factory loaded ammunition while harvesting my brass.
Thanks - I am not a hammer fan, or any mono bullet fan. I plan on shooting bergers or eldx/ms - at least until something better comes out or the state I am living in bans lead bullets :). I have been wanting to give the ABLRs a shot, maybe in a few years. Its hard to make a change when you find something that works like the bergers.

If monos will never be used, 1:9 is fast enough.

But with the quality of todays bullets, and considering monos, I would always error on the side of faster twist.

The reason I would go with an 8 or 8.5 twist is to stabilize the 195's if you ever wanted to try them, and it won't cause any adverse effects with the use of the 180's either. Even 160's will be fine. I have had a hard time getting the 175 eld-x's to shoot in a couple 9.25 twist 7 mags. They may just not like them, but I think a slightly tighter twist would help. Just my thoughts. My uncle ordered a brux barrel for his 7 mag, he plans on using 180 or 195 Bergers for elk, we went with an 8 twist. It will be throated for the longer pills, not SAAMI spec. Should get the 195's in the 2900's, we're shooting the 180's at 3060 in my cousins 26" factory 7 mag with reloder 26.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.