First Build - Looking for thoughts...

Yes sir. I was also thinking of that but I think 6.5/06 AI will be right along side of that one, and lapua 30/06 brass is easy to find.

The 6.5/06 AI would be fun, i am fighting for time to get to the range let alone roll my own ammo right now. I got kids in travel ball and am on a plane almost every week for work. I am thinking it would be nice to be able to buy some factory ammo while I am waiting for my next promotion that would keep me at home more - probably another couple years out.

The 6.5/06 AI would be fun, i am fighting for time to get to the range let alone roll my own ammo right now. I got kids in travel ball and am on a plane almost every week for work. I am thinking it would be nice to be able to buy some factory ammo while I am waiting for my next promotion that would keep me at home more - probably another couple years out.
Not a bad plan, but you just can't get the same level of accuracy out of factory stuff compared to handloads in my opinion.

I don't think I want to mess with all the other modifications to my action or a new bolt - so maybe it is down to the 6.5x284 norma or the 280AI. It looks like there are a few factory offerings for the 6.5x284

Honestly, elk at 800 yds and more I would go with a 280 AI, 7mm rem mag or a little more. Coming from a guy that has used a .260 AI to take 3 elk at 712, 710, and 813 yards in the last 2 years. They work, but I am currently building a .338 Norma Mag specifically for my long range elk rig. When you think about it, my .260 AI with the 147 at 3040 fps I used has very similar energy at 813 yards as a .223 has inside 50 yards, although a better sectional density. My .338 Norma at the same range will be similar to a factory 30-06 165 load at 150ish yards. That was my justification for building it ha ha. But both a .280 ai and 7 rm will have good factory options. At that range a 300 wm wouldn't be a terrible option either, and hornady has some decent factory ammo.

Not a bad plan, but you just can't get the same level of accuracy out of factory stuff compared to handloads in my opinion.
I realize that - I have all the stuff and have spent a good deal of time reloading in the past...I just need to get by the next couple years. Although my 6 creed loves that hornady match stuff and my 270wsm shoots the precision hunter between .5 and 3/4 moa consistently.

Spend your the extra money down the road on a different rifle that you would have to spend on modifications, after all cant have to many rifles. LOL

I got this quote from Mike at Hells Canyon Armory. Do these prices seem pretty reasonable? If not, Recommendations for a smith would be appreciated. I am torn between a HCA or a proof barrel. I figured I would start here.

289B2176-5C5A-43BA-9FFE-FD5E96B9248E.png

I got this quote from Mike at Hells Canyon Armory. Do these prices seem pretty reasonable? If not, Recommendations for a smith would be appreciated. I am torn between a HCA or a proof barrel. I figured I would start here.

View attachment 139792
The labor costs are in line with what I've paid using local or 'name brand' Smiths. For the barrel, I'd wait until after the Fourth to decide. Street price for a Proof is $730, and I would think you could find a 10% off coupon for the 4th of July?

.280AI, built by Axisworks in Tempe, AZ. SAAMI chamber.
175 Berger Elite Hunter @ 2975fps, validated out to 1656.
R700 LA BDL trued
Fluted factory bolt, carbon fiber knob, alloy shroud, TI pin & Wolfe Blitzschnell spring
26" 1:9" Proof Sendero Light w. Hawkins 3 port brake
Manners EH1 w. Pillars & fully bedded
Shilen Match trigger @ 1lb 6oz
R700 factory alloy BDL bottom metal
Seekins alloy 20MOA Picatinny rail
Seekins 30mm medium rings
March F 3-24×52
8lbs 13oz all in

921 yards

I have a rem700 Sendero SF II in 2506 that I have loved, but want to rebarrel to a long range friendly cartridge. the gun has some serious sentimental value, so I will never sell it, but just want to give her a face lift with a carbon fiber barrel, new trigger, stock etc.

I handload - at least I have all the stuff, but a new promotion and kids haven't given me much time. So some nice factory ammo is important, at least for the next few years or until I can work up a load. I am thinking about either a 280 AI or 6.5 prc.

Anything else I should consider? If I go with a PRC my current bolt face won't work, anything else I am going to replace to get it to work?

I had a man crush on the 6.5x284, but not sure what factory loads are out there.

Purpose will be range work out to 1200, deer, elk, black bears etc. out to whatever distance I feel comfortable. Right now thats about 800-900 yards. I don't believe you have to have a big magnum cartridge to kill elk, my go to rifle to slay those suckers has been a 270wsm with 145gr eldx and it has been a hammer on them...so the 143gr eldx or the 147gr eldm in the 6.5 will be fine.
Well, the .25-06 AI with a 1:7 twist to shoot the new Blackjack 131 ACE bullets is a good option.

The 6.5 Sherman is a good option.

The .280 Sherman is a good option.

The .300 Sherman is a good option.

.280AI, built by Axisworks in Tempe, AZ. SAAMI chamber.
175 Berger Elite Hunter @ 2975fps, validated out to 1656.
R700 LA BDL trued
Fluted factory bolt, carbon fiber knob, alloy shroud, TI pin & Wolfe Blitzschnell spring
26" 1:9" Proof Sendero Light w. Hawkins 3 port brake
Manners EH1 w. Pillars & fully bedded
Shilen Match trigger @ 1lb 6oz
R700 factory alloy BDL bottom metal
Seekins alloy 20MOA Picatinny rail
Seekins 30mm medium rings
March F 3-24×52
8lbs 13oz all in

921 yards

Thats a sweet stick - hoping mine ends up similar.

Well, the .25-06 AI with a 1:7 twist to shoot the new Blackjack 131 ACE bullets is a good option.

The 6.5 Sherman is a good option.

The .280 Sherman is a good option.

The .300 Sherman is a good option.

I need some factory ammo in the short term brother...unless you are offering to load me up some of those sherman rounds :p

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.