Filling the caliber gap... what?

hawk45

What would be a good caliber to fill the gap between my smaller short action calibers (223/.243/.260/.308) and my 300WM? The WM is my only long action. I wish somebody made a factory .284 on a long action (though I guess I could build one).

Thinking these don't do anything more than what I have now in my SA calibers:
.22-250 AI
.220 Swift
7mm-08

6.5-284 Norma (not sure the 100fps of this over the .260 is enough to justify)

Possibilities:
.25-06 AI
.257 Wby Mag
.280 AI
7mm RemMag
7mm STW

What would be a good caliber to fill the gap between my smaller short action calibers (223/.243/.260/.308) and my 300WM? The WM is my only long action. I wish somebody made a factory .284 on a long action (though I guess I could build one).

You have the gap in your 260, with the bullets out there the 6.5 is a very good round. Other then that a 7mm short mag would be a good round.
I myself like the Remington SAUM over Winchester WSM, the WSM has to short
of a neck for me. But to get the most out of any of these round you have to
reload.

You have the gap in your 260, with the bullets out there the 6.5 is a very good round. Other then that a 7mm short mag would be a good round.
I myself like the Remington SAUM over Winchester WSM, the WSM has to short
of a neck for me. But to get the most out of any of these round you have to
reload.

I do reload and have always been interested in the 7WSM or SAUM but brass is so elusive.
How do you come about brass? I've been looking for a few years and never seen SAUM anywhere.

+1 on 280AI. It's a good mid-level 7mm without going major overbore (not that there is anything wrong with that). And you need a 7mm (it is not a want). The 280AI can reach way out, but can also be loaded down depending on your needs.

Don't sleep on 22-250 either, it truly fills a gap between 223 and 243. I once knew a bunch of whistle pigs that could attest to that...

Don't forget, everyone truly needs a big-bore .257 caliber, too. Like the .257 Wby.

I think if he went with the .22-250 AI, .257 Wby, .280 AI, and 7mm STW, he would do a good job of bridging his gaps.

Don't forget, everyone truly needs a big-bore .257 caliber, too. Like the .257 Wby.

I think if he went with the .22-250 AI, .257 Wby, .280 AI, and 7mm STW, he would do a good job of bridging his gaps.

Just to be thorough he should throw in a 338 as well :D

Last edited:
Not sure if the 7wsm was mentioned...but also consider the 7 rem mag (and a .30-06 since every American should own one) :D

I don't want to talk you out of buying a new gun, but I don't see a gap between .260 and .300 Win. I'd rather say there is a gap from .300 Win upward, assuming the listed cartridges are all you got. Well, you can shoot just so many guns, can you?

270 Winchester
280 Remington
280AI

All long action '06 calibers that will fit ballistically between your 7-08 and 300 win mag

260 is too close to the 7-08 ballistically and 7 mag is too close to the 300 win mag

My "pivot gun" is a 280AI

Whitetail - take the 6.5 rem mag and 280AI
Elk - take the 338RUM and 280AI

Thanks guys.. really just looking for something between the .260 and 300WM for now, and thinking it will be a 7mm caliber.

Ones I really like I can't buy in a factory gun, so looks like I'll have to do a full custom or a Savage build.

I'll probably go with a .284 or 280AI.

Thanks for all your help.

You will thoroughly enjoy the .280 AI. I've shot several of other people's over the years from sporter-barreled LW hunters, to heavy-barreled 1K monsters, and to call it a smooth shooting and extremely capable caliber, is an understatement. For as fast as it is, it's where it's at, IMO.

Can't wait till I get mine built...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.