FFP scope for an elk rifle

Hi guys. I know there are lots of similar threads and I've read many of them. But spending other people's money is fun, right? I'm looking for a scope to put on my .284 Win Tikka for an elk hunting trip to Colorado this coming season:
View attachment 341714
It will be my first western hunting trip, but I've been deer hunting in MN and WI and shooting PRS style competitions out to 1k so I'm at least a decent if not amazing shot. I want the scope to enable a harvest out to 600 yds.

I'm set on:
- 3-18ish mag range
- FFP, mil
- locking elevation turret
- not super heavy. I'd live with up to 32 oz, but would prefer <28 oz (1.75 lbs)
- $1k or less preferred, but I could swing up to $1250 (and can get a Tenmile or LHT for that due to a friend with dealer pricing)
- Will retain a zero well. Forgot this initially as I feel like it should go without saying, but given recent contentious forum posts on the LHT, maybe not? I've read all of that and not sure what to make of it.

I tried to include every decent scope I could find that meets that criteria on the list, but doesn't include an OG LRHS/LRTS as they're so hard to find (esp the 3-12). No, the PST doesn't have locking turrets but wanted it there for reference.

View attachment 341715

What have I missed, and of that what would you all recommend? Thanks.
From that list, Trijicon might meet your objectives. My suggestion, not within your price range, would be a Marche. Don't scrimp on the cheaper scopes would be my advice. You have a lot into your rifle and into your skill set to be very precise and in my opinion, it all comes down to very high quality optics, including binos, spotting scopes, and most important of all a proven competitive scope PERIOD!! One that has all the features you mentioned. The quality of scope should complement the quality of your most treasured rifle, in my opinion. You won't regret it, and consider mounting it on and 20 MOA raíl whatever you end up choosing.

From that list, Trijicon might meet your objectives. My suggestion, not within your price range, would be a Marche. Don't scrimp on the cheaper scopes would be my advice. You have a lot into your rifle and into your skill set to be very precise and in my opinion, it all comes down to very high quality optics, including binos, spotting scopes, and most important of all a proven competitive scope PERIOD!! One that has all the features you mentioned. The quality of scope should complement the quality of your most treasured rifle, in my opinion. You won't regret it, and consider mounting it on and 20 MOA raíl whatever you end up choosing.
Other suggestion; Huskemaw ? I am pleased with my two both on 7mm Rem Mag rifles. +\~ $1000. Nothing like the Marche but you get what you pay for!

Thanks again everyone. The hunt went very well and the scope you all recommended (LRHSi) worked perfectly. I put down my bull as well as a cow another guy in our party wounded. Ranges were only 130 and 250 yds respectively (as in the last two pictures), but I was confident out to much further, which was great.

Attachments

• IMG_20221121_092536.jpg
    IMG_20221121_092536.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
  • PXL_20221113_001743313.jpg
    PXL_20221113_001743313.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 71
  • PXL_20221113_000418740.jpg
    PXL_20221113_000418740.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 77
  • PXL_20221112_182925928.jpg
    PXL_20221112_182925928.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:
I have a Bushnell Elite LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 with fully illuminated G3 small "Xmas tree" reticle. This scope is no longer made but Bushnell has a very nice Elite DMR 3.5 - 21 x 50. I have that scope with an H59 reticle on my RUGER Precision Rifle for competition and it does very well. The G3 reticle would be the one for hunting for wind holds.

**IF YOU HAVE NOT USED A CHRISTMAS TREE RETICLE for wind holds then you need to try one on a friend's rifle. No more holding "out in space" and guessing a wind hold.

I have a Bushnell Elite LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 with fully illuminated G3 small "Xmas tree" reticle. This scope is no longer made but Bushnell has a very nice Elite DMR 3.5 - 21 x 50. I have that scope with an H59 reticle on my RUGER Precision Rifle for competition and it does very well. The G3 reticle would be the one for hunting for wind holds.

**IF YOU HAVE NOT USED A CHRISTMAS TREE RETICLE for wind holds then you need to try one on a friend's rifle. No more holding "out in space" and guessing a wind hold.
Yep that's what I got.

Eric_F,
Did you get the Xmas tree reticle or the Bushnell DMR 3.5 - 21 x 50 - or both?

BTW, The LRHS came before my LRTS and I think the only difference is that mine offered the G3 reticle and the LRHS had a G2 reticle. Not much difference.

Eric_F,
Did you get the Xmas tree reticle or the Bushnell DMR 3.5 - 21 x 50 - or both?

BTW, The LRHS came before my LRTS and I think the only difference is that mine offered the G3 reticle and the LRHS had a G2 reticle. Not much difference.
4.5-18 LRHSi with the [edited:] G2H

Last edited:
Thanks again everyone. The hunt went very well and the scope you all recommended (LRHSi) worked perfectly. I put down my bull as well as a cow another guy in our party wounded. Ranges were only 130 and 250 yds respectively (as in the last two pictures), but I was confident out to much further, which was great.
Looks like a good eater. Con grates

I own both the LRTS and LRHS and find there is actually a big difference in the G2H (LRHS) and G3 (LRTS) reticle, with the G2H being better for big game hunting. The bolder reticle cross hair, donut, and massive thick outer posts make it far easier to use in low light and at low magnification. The G3 has thin crosshair which is great for precision target shooting but hard to see at last light or at low mag in daylight. The capped windage turret on the LRHS is also welcome on a hunting/field rifle. That said, both are fantastic scopes if you can get your hands on either one of them. Durability, zero retention, tracking, etc is better than the vast majority of what's on the market now.

Don't hunt elk, but I like LRHS 3-12, LRHS2 4.5-18 as hunting scopes. Also very happy with LHT 4.5-22, lower field of view, but light. Vortex AMG is great as well if you don't mind 6x on low end