FF new brass

just square the neck with new brass if necessary and fire them. Take awhile to FF the oversized brass. I used to cam over brass all the time. IF it is dangerous loading manuals would say not to do it.

Last edited:
Thanks, Just to be sure, I should probably should just throw my stuff in a dumpster before I hurt myself.
Not in a dumpster, but behind a 'reloading 101' type book, to reset the basics in your mind.
You gotta know this looks sloppy on your part

Last edited:
Just a thought as I have never fire formed but Grafs has PRVI bulk bullets that are cheap so you don't waste your good stuff. Also maybe use a powder that is not as desirable for your fire form to conserve your good stuff. I'm sure there are some more experienced reloaders that can guide you on this. Just a thought that came to mind.

Just a thought as I have never fire formed but Grafs has PRVI bulk bullets that are cheap so you don't waste your good stuff. Also maybe use a powder that is not as desirable for your fire form to conserve your good stuff. I'm sure there are some more experienced reloaders that can guide you on this. Just a thought that came to mind.

Thanks, I ended up grabbing those 180g partitions that were on here. With those and what I already had I can work on some load development velocities at least.

The brass isn't toast but may have lost a few reloads. To get the cases back you don't have to run a full powder charge but you can back off quite a bit. Find some cheap 30 cal bullets and shoot those. I would try 5 or so and measure the case.

Do you know your head space on your chamber? I have always checked new brass in Sheridan case gauges and if it fits I load and shoot.

I can't understand how it didn't collapse the shoulder and make them impossible to chamber! ALOT seems like an understatement,

I always set them where it just barely cams, and never had a issue. I resized everything and noticed a issue on 2 necks. The brass had been dropped hard enough in shipping to blow out the bottom of the plastic case.

To correct it, I did my normal neck turning steps a few weeks later and resized them again afterwards to get the neck tension uniform.

Where I think I screwed up was I switched the shell holders in between because one didn't fit in my hand primer well. I never readjusted the die. The shell holders are different manufacturers as two of the same weren't available at the time. I never thought it would make that much of a difference and just went about my routine.

They resized harder and I just wrote it off as the previous damage not realizing it was the difference in shell holders. So it got to -.009 in a two step process. I'm picking up the extra -.001 in the chamber depth after a test fire.

Lesson learned, I've been at this a while and thru several rifles. Never had this issue even with loading several wildcats.

Hard lesson to learn. One thing to look at, is what powder load are you using? Because you'll may need to reduce that load somewhat, because of additional chamber pressure. With new cases you would have had that problem anyway to start with. There two men that I read and have gotten info from. GLTaylor and Mikecr on reloading points.

Hard lesson to learn. One thing to look at, is what powder load are you using? Because you'll may need to reduce that load somewhat, because of additional chamber pressure. With new cases you would have had that problem anyway to start with. There two men that I read and have gotten info from. GLTaylor and Mikecr on reloading points.

I have some RL22 that I don't need anymore. I saw RL23 had published load data so I just dropped back a few grains of min and used that to test fire it.

So I didn't realize my die was set wrong and resized 100 pieces of new ADG 300 PRC .010 shorter than what my rifle was chambered. It's just enough to cause a light primer strike and not fire some primers which is how I found out the problem.

I've done a lot of COW FF and am comfortable doing that to push the cases back out.

Question is: is it really necessary at .010 headspace to FF them all or just load and shoot them. Barrel was rechambered and has 300 ish rounds so no break in is required. I don't want to end up with head case separation issues from the brass having to stretch too far.
I have had the same problem with the same amount of extra head space and most all of them fired with no case stretching problems, some required a second FP hit to go off.

Recent Posts