New brass?

Most likely you don't have to size the new brass but it would not hurt and since you are taking the time to reload why not take the extra time. I use Lapua brass in my Remington clone and chamber the brass after removing the firing pin assembly. I find about 3 out or 100 won't chamber well so I resize those. Lapua makes very good brass.

I too use a neck mandrel on new brass along with other basic brass prep and then begin loading. I have operated on the theory that factory loads aren't sized before I shoot them, therefore it is unnecessary to resize new brass. Is this a bad assumption? Is new, unloaded brass different from new factory loaded brass?

I too use a neck mandrel on new brass along with other basic brass prep and then begin loading. I have operated on the theory that factory loads aren't sized before I shoot them, therefore it is unnecessary to resize new brass. Is this a bad assumption? Is new, unloaded brass different from new factory loaded brass?

I would assume that whoever/whomever manufactured the brass was going to load ammo with it therefore it shouldn't need to be re-sized. I would however make sure that it chambers in MY rifle before doing anything. Then I might deburr the flash holes and chamfer the case mouths if needed. After firing if the fired case still chambers in MY rifle I would neck size only using a bushing die or the FL die appropriately adjusted or a neck sizing die.

My process is to first decap the primers with a decapper die. Next I'd resize either neck or FL as needed with NO expander ball. Lastly I'd expand the neck with a mandrel. For say a .264 there are commonly available .262 and .263 mandrels. I prefer the carbide version.

Been reloading some rounds for some of my rifles with factory fired cases.im no expert on reloading but have been happy with some of my results. Bear with me if this is a stupid question, I bought some new star line brass for my 7mm-08, should I run this brass through the sizing die first or load as is? Thanks always get answers to my questions on here n appreciate it

My case prep procedure requires full length the first time because after sizing, it gets the Outside dimensions as close to the same as possible for the other steps I take for case prep. This can be done after fire forming. but if there are differences that need correcting then the case is fired once more to reach a uniform state.

I full length size, trim to uniform length, turn the necks to uniform thickness, and uniform primer pockets. next I measure volume or weight sort to tell me the case volume. this sounds like a lot of steps before loading, but it gives me the best chance for quality fire formed cases with only one firing. If The chamber is good, the cases come out with .000 runout before loading And is an early aid to working up loads without wearing out the cases before an accurate load is found.

Also by starting with concentric brass cases, you can spot a problem area in your loading process by checking each step and will end up with better quality loads.

Fire forming without case prep only adds more firings to the cases in my experience.

J E CUSTOM

I fully resize new brass. I don't buy high priced brass, I use Federal Gold Medal. I use Federal Edge TLR 200 Gr bullets in my .300 WSM. I figure if I'm using Federal bullets, why not use Federal brass? I have obtained excellent accuracy and terminal performance from this bullet. I recently purchased some of the new Terminal Ascent 200 gr bullets from Federal. I am currently running tests on this bullet. Other that a second cannerule and silver/nickel rather than a black/nickel coating, the bullet construction appears the same. I'll post the results of the test, when completed.

I run new brass threw resizer first takes all the guess work out of it then neck size as lon g as it goes in same gun after 3/4 fireings resize then should be no prob lems

I full-size the first time before I even use the brass so I know it will fit and it is all consistent after that I only neck size until I have a feed problems or chambering problems then I will bump shoulders back I also might have some 300 WinMag brass that is truly only fired once from factory ammo the brass would be free you pay shipping let me know And yes once it is shot and fire formed in your chamber it is a perfect fit for your chamber it may or may not fit in someone else's rifle and the same is true for you getting once fired brass may or may not fit your chamber which is why I would full-size everything before I start
300 win Mag Brass? If you still have it, could you send me an E-Mail? [email protected]
were down in Texas 77983

300 win Mag Brass? If you still have it, could you send me an E-Mail? [email protected]
were down in Texas 77983
CFF59544-1969-41DB-96D1-E95D76FF3DC1.jpeg

I use a neck mandrel on new brass then chamfer and load
If you don't have one run them through your resizing die
I have some cartridges that I have found running a mandrel through the virgin case works really well even if I'm not just doing it to get the bends out of the case mouth. Some other cartridges works better with out doing that. I'm sure it's just a function of what ever neck tension the load likes best.

Depends upon the level of sophistication the you want to achieve. If you're not going to turn necks then just make sure the cases will chamber in your rifle load em and shoot em.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.