FF new brass

WWP2012

So I didn't realize my die was set wrong and resized 100 pieces of new ADG 300 PRC .010 shorter than what my rifle was chambered. It's just enough to cause a light primer strike and not fire some primers which is how I found out the problem.

I've done a lot of COW FF and am comfortable doing that to push the cases back out.

Question is: is it really necessary at .010 headspace to FF them all or just load and shoot them. Barrel was rechambered and has 300 ish rounds so no break in is required. I don't want to end up with head case separation issues from the brass having to stretch too far.

How is that wasting bullets....????
Load accuracy and I won't hunt with them. Extracting the case with the bullet still lodged in the lands makes for a bad day in the field. So for me, it's just shooting them into the dirt with no real gains. That's why I do the COW method, just wasn't sure if it's worth the hassle for a .010 headspace gap.

Load accuracy and I won't hunt with them. Extracting the case with the bullet still lodged in the lands makes for a bad day in the field. So for me, it's just shooting them into the dirt with no real gains. That's why I do the COW method, just wasn't sure if it's worth the hassle for a .010 headspace gap.

You don't have to shoot a hard jam....just put the bullet in the lands far enough to keep the case in place when the firing pin hits.

I would load and shoot with a soft jam in the lands. For practice they should be great. .010" into the lands should be plenty and if the neck tension is decent you should be able to unload a chambered round with no issue.

I came really close to forming the first time.. If would have touched the lands, used a more suitable powder and prevented the case from being pushed forward, I would have probably got it done once. Really close though. I took Sierra bullet tech Duane Siercks advice

select a powder for the cartridge you are working with. The better powders are those that fall in the middle of the burn rate range for the cartridge and bullet weight. Use a mid-range load with the powder and bullet selected.
The bullet touching the rifling causes the cartridge rim to be in contact with the bolt face or receiver, so that the firing pin strike cannot cause the case to be shoved forward. This then allows the case to expand to the chamber dimensions with out the weakening stretch that otherwise would take place. It is always best to use new unfired cases. Cases that have been previously fired, whether it be factory ammo or cases that were loaded and not fire formed first, will almost always have a certain amount of stretch that has occurred. This initial stretching is usually when the most damage occurs.

.010" gap is ALOT....
And a potential Danger....