Felt this on my face….

DocGlenn

6.5 PRC, 140 Berger, 56.7gr 4831sc.
Shot several rounds of this load and then this happened. Felt the powder hit my face. Is this the result of a loose primer pocket? Never had this happen before. Thanks!
96E085F1-EC57-4F18-962F-FFAC7E6EE78C.jpeg

That's a pretty strong excursion! It's very unusual to see a pinhole burn like that. Did the primers "feel" normal when you seated them (resistance to seating)? If new brass did you inspect for malformed pockets/flash holes before loading? Don't have my data handy. Charge within bounds?

That's a pretty strong excursion! It's very unusual to see a pinhole burn like that. Did the primers "feel" normal when you seated them (resistance to seating)? If new brass did you inspect for malformed pockets/flash holes before loading? Don't have my data handy. Charge within bounds?
Nothing seemed different, but obviously it was. This was the third time this brass had been reloaded. I'm almost positive the load was "safe". But I don't have that data in front of me.

Yeah I load 52.5 to 53 gr h4831sc in 6.5x284 pretty close on capacity and get a pretty good ejector mark at 2950 fps thats with 140 berger hvlds. 56.7 grains seems like its really pushing it. Somebody quick load that and see what kind of pressure he's getting

I had this happen once on my 7.82 Warbird. The perforation looks to be exactly between the edge of the primer and primer pocket. It was in the same location on mine, I don't know if this is a primer failure or pocket failure. Did it etch the bolt face?

Magnum Maniac is correct. Drop a grain or so, and switch your primer to CCI or Federal, work back up,
That primer is faulty, it is not overpressure.
and you will be fine. Check your bolt face and ejector to make sure they aren't peened too badly (they shouldn't be). I've quit using winchester LR primers in high velocity cartridges for this reason.

I had this happen once on my 7.82 Warbird. The perforation looks to be exactly between the edge of the primer and primer pocket. It was in the same location on mine, I don't know if this is a primer failure or pocket failure. Did it etch the bolt face?
I couldn't see any marks on the bolt face. So I think it is fine.