Felt this on my face….

It's your eyes I think Bill. @DocGlenn please clean the bolt face so we can tell what's dirt, soot, etc. Have you cleaned the bolt face since this happened? To me there looks to be pitting between your 2 round extractors. No offense, but the loaded ammo I see in your box has filthy shoulders and necks, you should add a step in your brass prep to clean that all off. Do you clean your primer pockets?

Last edited:
Oh man, you guys are killing me. 😬😬😬. I usually clean the brass in a vibratory tumbler with walnut media every-other firing. I always shoot suppressed, so that makes things dirtier. Here's the bolt face again. I don't know what to say. The whole bolt is black. I think it's pretty clean. I don't hardly ever clean primer pockets. I have a SS tumbler that will, I didn't think it was a big deal??
image.jpg

Here's a photo of some brass after I "cleaned" it. The primer pockets are dirty because I tumble it with the primer in. I hate digging the media out of the flash holes. If I'm getting close to killing my self, someone let me know.
image.jpg

Well, I never exceed max loads for the powder I'm using, and my velocities never get higher than expected. I have had a sticky bolt lift a few times and I never went past that point, but that's only happened to me a couple of times, ever. I'm certainly open to fixing what I'm doing wrong. Before the bad primer incident, I thought I was doing pretty well......???

Oh man, you guys are killing me. 😬😬😬. I usually clean the brass in a vibratory tumbler with walnut media every-other firing. I always shoot suppressed, so that makes things dirtier. Here's the bolt face again. I don't know what to say. The whole bolt is black. I think it's pretty clean. I don't hardly ever clean primer pockets. I have a SS tumbler that will, I didn't think it was a big deal?? View attachment 365193
Glad it was my eyes. Sorry for adding to your stress. Bill

A hot load is not just detected by a heavy bolt lift. Those ejector marks on the bottom of your brass are a sign of a hot load as are a cratering primer. That quick load data from Berger is not real life data, it's a computer program estimate.

Well, I never exceed max loads for the powder I'm using, and my velocities never get higher than expected. I have had a sticky bolt lift a few times and I never went past that point, but that's only happened to me a couple of times, ever. I'm certainly open to fixing what I'm doing wrong. Before the bad primer incident, I thought I was doing pretty well......???

You really need to give that a read.

Then watch this:

Then if you'd like to become an apprentice level member, you can watch this... where I go into full detail on it:

When you have ejector ring, it can be caused by a sharp edge on the ejector hole... but in your case... I assure you it's because you're over pressuring that brass.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

That primer is faulty, it is not overpressure.
Look closely at the primer, it has pinholed.
Had several of these with Winchester primers over the last few years.
A blown primer looks different to that, a loose/leaking pocket also looks different to that.

Cheers.
I had a batch of Win LR primers do that.
.308 Win with IMR4064 & 168 Sierra MK, 6.5Cm running 42.5gr BLC2 with Hornady 95gr Vmax & brass.
Switched primers, no more problems.
Tossed the remaining primers.

Hornady developed the prc. They list max with 4831 and 143gr eldx at 54.7. Berger listing 58 grains just seems nuts. I use the berger 140 hvld and the eldx both in 6.5x284 and in three guns both bullets shot the same load .54 grains puts me right around 3000 fps with either bullet . I start getting ejector marks at 52.5 to 53 thats where I feel comfortable.

I am thinking the heavy carbon in the primer pockets could contribute. Also, excessively dirty shoulders and necks can affect headspace/pressures.
Lastly (and you may already know this) no two chambers are identical. What may be an acceptable load in my rifle may be over pressure in yours, thus the reason everybody with experience suggests starting loads well below near max and working up from there.
FYI: There is only .003" difference between a go gage and a no-go headspace gage. Three thousandths is about the thickness of a human hair.

I'm gonna say you need to back off about 2 grains and dump the mag primers. You didn't chronograph that load did you?