Primer blow-out damaged my bolt face

OK .

The first thing that the poster implied was that these were all the same loads in 3 different actions.

J E CUSTOM

I am sorry I posted so ambiguously and created confusion.

The 10 year old pic of mine that has been down loaded ~ 50,000 times, is from when I fired 3 sequential rounds left to right that were the same load all in the same action. A 1938 Turk Mauser that I rebarreled to 243. 100 gr 40 gr H322 [82kpsi Quickload]

The hierarchy I gave to the three actions is with respect to the safety of gas routing when there is a leak in the brass.

Good call about the cleaning rod.

J E custom really has some valid points. I see a lot of exaggerated and darn near dangerous stuff as far as pet loads on the web. Those of us who've been lucky enough to play with strain guages have seen loads where the bolt is a little stiff, or there is a little scraping at the brass base show up as 75-80 K psi loads. If you are beating the case out of the rifle you've nearly failed the action and set the lugs into the recesses at least some. I'd bet the load on the right was actually closer to 100 K psi peak pressure.

I found that Winchester primers did not seat as tight in my 300 wsm Norma cartridges as CCI and Federal. Much like you, I have a pin hole in my bolt face. I was using Hodgdon Superformance loaded up near the top of the recommended range, but there were no other signs of over pressure.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.