Am I about to blow my face off?!?

AtownBcat

So i have another question...I have followed the advise from some of you here(and read in the nosler handbook) the way you go about finding the depth at which the bullet hits the lands.(if im not saying that correct im sure someone will let me know). I was surprised however to find that of the two bullets i was testing with one was seated quite a bit(to me anyway) deeper than the other.
Is it common for a heavier bullet with a higher bc to have a longer over all length than a lighter bullet?
These were my findings:

Hornady 180 GR SP Interlock.........3.440 overall length

Sierra 200 GR Spitzer Gameking........3.501 overall length

The nosler book says to seat the bullet .015 deeper than these readings.

I just wanted to make sure i was not missing something. I was going to go to the range tomorrow and the idea of shooting a bullet that i made is exciting and scary at the same time...:)

Last edited:
So i have another question...I have followed the advise from some of you here(and read in the nosler handbook) the way you go about finding the depth at which the bullet hits the lands.(if im not saying that correct im sure someone will let me know). I was surprised however to find that of the two bullets i was testing with one was seated quite a bit(to me anyway) deeper than the other.
Is it common for a heavier bullet with a higher bc to have a longer over all length than a lighter bullet?
These were my findings:

Sierra 200 GR Spitzer Gaeking........3.501 overall length

I just wanted to make sure i was not missing something. I was going to go to the range tomorrow and the idea of shooting a bullet that i made is exciting and scary at the same time...:)
Not necessarily, it depends on the shape, not the BC.
It's the ogive length and shape that changes from one bullet style/brand to another that gives different OAL when comparing 2 distinct bullet styles/brands.
Most true 'spitzer' bullets can be seated to a longer OAL because they have a long tapered ogive, and reach into the chamber further, while 'semi spitzer' style will have a shorter OAL becuase of their abrupt tapered ogive enters the chamber sooner.

This is why you have to 'work out' each OAL for each specific bullet style. It's much easier to use one style once you have worked out which the rifle prefers.
Cheers.
MagnumManiac.
gun)

These were my findings:

Sierra 200 GR Spitzer Gaeking........3.501 overall length

Not necessarily, it depends on the shape, not the BC.

It's the ogive length and shape that changes from one bullet style/brand to another that gives different OAL when comparing 2 distinct bullet styles/brands.

Most true 'spitzer' bullets can be seated to a longer OAL because they have a long tapered ogive, and reach into the chamber further, while 'semi spitzer' style will have a shorter OAL becuase of their abrupt tapered ogive engages the rifling of the chamber sooner.

This is why you have to 'work out' each OAL for each specific bullet style. It's much easier to use one style once you have worked out which the rifle prefers.
Cheers.
MagnumManiac.
gun)

Yes it is tomorrow and i am happy to report that I still have a face. After i posted this question i loaded some 200Gr accubonds...there OAL was way up their. I have to admit that i was a little nervous.....but all the loads shot OK...nothing great but it was new never fired brass so know i will just neck size and see how it goes from here forward. No signs of high pressure but i wasn't that close to max loads....so i guess i would call today a success!!

Last edited:
Congrats on the good test run,

Consider yourself completely infected now!

You better start saving for more reloading supplies!

AJ

Gotta admit that pulling the trigger when you try something new is a little nerve racking.

Trust in your skills, or keep reading and researching until you do. That is the safe way. If not, tie a long piece of string to the trigger and hide around the corner........just kidding!

Congrats, AtownBcat.
Its a good feeling to shoot ammo you reloaded yourself. Good luck going forward.

AtownBcat Why neck size only? Life of brass? I've been hand loading for 30+ years unless you have a custom chamber and even then there is no hard evidence that once fired neck sized brass will be more accurate...... For some one to blow up their gun with hand loads they have to just about try to do that.Why? There are many warning signs before your rifle becomes a bomb. Or just be the dumbest idiot in the world. like loading a case full of pistol powder.

Honestly...because that was the way I was told to do it. I think it does have something to do with brass life, but i was also told that if you were to size only the neck you have a tighter fit in the chamber thus better groups. Like i stated this was my first time to shoot anything that i had loaded myself..so there is not a lot of exp. for me to draw from. I bought the "delux" die set from Lee so I have a full size die as well. Do you have something against neck sizing?

AtownBcat Why neck size only? Life of brass? I've been hand loading for 30+ years unless you have a custom chamber and even then there is no hard evidence that once fired neck sized brass will be more accurate...... For some one to blow up their gun with hand loads they have to just about try to do that.Why? There are many warning signs before your rifle becomes a bomb. Or just be the dumbest idiot in the world. like loading a case full of pistol powder.

AtownBcat,

Neck sizing works fine for ANY chamber, factory or otherwise. Some of the benefits of neck sizing only are:
1) Less working of the brass (longer brass life, both in the neck and also ahead of the belt for belted cartridges).
2) By only sizing 3/4 of the neck, you will get a bit more 'centered' fit in your chamber.
3) You don't have to clean the lube off the case (because you don't have to lube the body of the case). In fact, if you are using the Lee Collet die, you don't have to use lube AT ALL.

There are also a couple drawbacks from neck sizing only. Mainly, you can build great ammo that will not work in other rifles. And secondly, if the rifle is used for hunting, you might have trouble closing the bolt on a very cold rifle, because it will typically shrink a little and be colder than the ammo (especially if you have carried it in your pocket :) )

Many folks have reported great groups with a crush fit, however I've never had that experience with my hunting rifles (heavy calibers). I've always had the best experience with about .001" of headspace (shoulder push back) and 3/4 of the neck resized (using bushing dies that gave around .001" of neck tension).

AJ

Hey AJ,

Thanks for the info...would you mind explaining "crush fit"? I have read the term here before but not sure exactly what it means.

Ryan

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.