Should I be worried about my neck clearance?

As long as it chambers easy all is well. I order reamers for .002 clearance below 30 caliber. 003 for 30 and 338 and .004 for bigger than that. Think of the neck as a rudder. A tighter fit keeps the bullet more in line with the bore. For accuracy sloppy is not good. I have read some people say you need .004 for a good bullet release. Horse pucky. How much pressure does it take to expand the neck? I don,t know but not much. I have a 7mm stw here . Borden, bartlein, leica scope. When I first shot it I was using new winchester cases. Not accurate at all. Miked a loaded round and it was .311. Was not working well in a .318 chamber. I then necked down some 8mm mag brass. It measured .316. Then it woke up.

Last edited:
You won't know the neck diameter of YOUR rifle until you make a chamber casting and measure it. Individual chamber reamers will vary from SAAMI (it's not SAMMI) established norms. That's why all chambers are not identical. -Ed

When it comes to casting chambers, I use a mixture of sulfur and graphite instead of cerrosafe. Works the same. Mix powdered sulfur with about 25% of the graphite you get to put in key locks -- IOW, fine dust. Prepare your chamber by lightly oiling and plugging barrel about 1" below neck of chamber. Melt sulfur/graphite mix and pour into chamber. Let it cool about a minute or so, then push chamber cast out with a cleaning rod inserted from the muzzle.

The cast will contract about the same amount as cerrosafe, so your measurements will be approximately .001" below actual dimension.

You will be fine. You said you looked at the saami max cartridge dimension and it was .315". You are at .314", and that is less than max. You looked at cartridge dimension not chamber dimension. I believe that the saami chamber neck is .318" but don't quote me on that, because I ordered a reamer for 280 AI and I had the neck tightened up just a little and the neck was .316" on that reamer.

All this chamber casting is a waste of time just to find the neck measurement. Chamber casts have to be done just right and measured at exactly the right time and temp or your sizes will be off significantly. A fired case is your best chamber cast. You have fired Norma cases that measure .314 after shooting them, brass spring back will not be more than .001, and your new brass loaded is .314. That is not enough clearance in my opinion for a hunting rifle. Send the brass back and go back to Norma or turn the Peterson brass. Loaded it should be no more than .312 for your gun.

I've been using Nosler brass for my .280AI. That fired brass neck measures at .314". I purchased some Peterson brass a while back and just got to messing with it. I can't believe how much thicker it is. After running the brass through my expander die (.282") to round the necks they measure at .311". After seating a bullet in a dummy round, the neck measures at .314". The SAMMI maximum cartridge dimension drawing shows the maximum neck dimension at .315". Should I be concerned about anything with these numbers? The cartridge chambers fine in the rifle. It just seems a little close...
If you don't have one, I would suggest investing in a tool to measure case neck wall thickness such as the Sinclair Case Neck Sorting Tool.

https://www.brownells.com/reloading...inclair-case-neck-sorting-tool-prod36959.aspx

That will allow you to accurately determine the thickness of the neck wall. Then, if you choose, the case necks can be turned so you get proper sealing of the chamber when the neck/case expands. The neck walls on some brands tend to be thicker in one spot than others. In that instance you should just "peel" the high spot so the thickness is even.

It is a Christensen Arms factory barrel. Micing each round would be a must if I decide to use them as is...

I don't have the case and chamber measures confused and I will definitely redo load work up if I use the brass as is.

The fact that I am below the SAMMI maximum is steering me to use as is. I really don't want to turn necks.

As win243xb says... my call, I pull the trigger...

It is a Christensen Arms factory barrel. Micing each round would be a must if I decide to use them as is...

I don't have the case and chamber measures confused and I will definitely redo load work up if I use the brass as is.

The fact that I am below the SAMMI maximum is steering me to use as is. I really don't want to turn necks.

As win243xb says... my call, I pull the trigger...
I think a call to Christensen so they can tell you exactly what the chamber dimensions are

If you don't have one, I would suggest investing in a tool to measure case neck wall thickness such as the Sinclair Case Neck Sorting Tool.

https://www.brownells.com/reloading...inclair-case-neck-sorting-tool-prod36959.aspx

That will allow you to accurately determine the thickness of the neck wall. Then, if you choose, the case necks can be turned so you get proper sealing of the chamber when the neck/case expands. The neck walls on some brands tend to be thicker in one spot than others. In that instance you should just "peel" the high spot so the thickness is even.
Wouldn,t it be easier and cheaper to just measure a loaded round? .314-284=.030 divided by 2=15 a side

Sounds like your neck clearance is fine. I agree with another poster on calling Christensen. You could always ask for a reamer print too.

It is hard to find what is the best neck clearance information. Seems like anything more than .002"-.003" total clearance will work. The issue is when the neck wall thicknesses vary. That is perhaps the best reason for turning necks beside consistent neck tension, to absolutely know that all necks will have sufficient clearance to release the bullet.

Occasionally I helped a local gunsmith develop loads for some of his customs. I was working on a 6.5-284. The brass was used without turning the necks. As the load was developed there were some flyers. At one point I tried to insert a bullet into a fired case and it wouldn't go in! Asked the gunsmith what the reamer's neck dimension was and was shocked to find the brass was only .001" total clearance! The gunsmith told me he asked the reamer maker to "tighten" all tolerances. The flyers were necks that were slightly thicker causing more pressure. GEEZ. I turned all the necks and quit helping him with loads for his customs after this debacle.

Here is one comment from Accurate shooter:

"Jerry Tierney, a past NBRSA 1000-yard champion and .284 Win "guru", has observed that overly tight chamber neck tolerances can cause accuracy problems. Jerry says "some guys who were running minimal neck clearance (what ever that is?) .284 chambers weren't getting the accuracy they expected. If you open up the neck to allow more clearance, say .0015-.002″ per side, that seems to solve the problems. I can't tell you exactly why–maybe it allows a 'cleaner' bullet release–but easing the neck clearance has helped many .284 shooters get better results."

===============

In the Secrets of the Houston Warehouse article Virgil's 6 PPC ran the smallest clearance I had ever heard: " Virgil would then outside turn the necks for a total clearance of about .0007" between loaded round and chamber. Since the neck turner left cutting rings, Virgil sanded the necks shiny to .00075". He emphasized that until the hills and valleys were smoothed, the case neck was prevented from laying flat against the chamber. "
Once these cases were prepped he never had to size the necks again. The brass would expand then contract so all he had to do was seat a new bullet into the neck.

More:
Then came the final, critical step — the step requiring a sensitive touch and #400 sandpaper — the "tuning" step. "The secret," Virgil said, "is to get the neck tension — the grip of the brass on the bullet — exactly the same on every case. You do this by firing the case and then feeling the bullet slide in the case neck as you seat it. Here, a micrometer won't do you any good. Feel is the whole thing. If any case grips the bullet harder than the others, you take three turns over the sandpaper and fire it again, until you get exactly the same amount of seating pressure. Until the necks were tuned, I didn't feel I was ready to start tuning the gun."

link:

FYI you may want to talk to more than one person at Christensen arms. I was helping a friend with his 300 win mag and got two different answers on if their stock was bedded. First guy, just a phone answer told me yes. Action screws kept loosening after a dozen shots. I believed the stock was compressing. I called a second time and asked for a higher up. First thing he asked me was who's ammo I was shooting. Told him handloads. He immediately told me that would void the warranty. I laughed at him. I did get him to admit the synthetic stock was not bedded.

Maybe this is more than you want to know.....

Personally I like to side with caution. I measure my fired cases and if the loaded rounds aren't at least .004 smaller, I neck turn. I understand there's spring back and fired brass isn't the exact size of the chamber. I would rather have .004 clearance than .002 in a hunting rifle. I have brass that's been shot 10x and has never been annealed and it has .007-.008 clearance and the necks aren't cracked. There's always the possibility of getting something in your chamber or any little thing that could cause issues with such tight clearances. In a perfect world you'd be fine, but for hunting I want some clearance for safety.

I think a call to Christensen so they can tell you exactly what the chamber dimensions are
Right here^^^^. They should be able to supply the reamer specs, if they will not, secret sauce crap, good company to avoid.
I have said this for yrs, anyone who gets a custom chamber done, should ask for the reamer print of the reamer used. It at times can answer questions that may have one perplexed.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.