Feed Back on .338 300gr OTMs on Elk

Thanks, Len, all true. Just my first use on Elk.

You need anything, pm me.
You are a true friend,
We would be having a hard time to repay all of your kindness and help!
Semper Fi my brother from the Army Marksman Unit!!!!
Thank you for your Service and all your help over the past few years!
Len & Jill

Ive been packing a few 240 BD II in my 338NM,last few years when im in high alder areas or brushy stuff.Also when bear hunting when I may walk up on one close.But the 300 just hammers stuff. Ive shot bull elk and moose at 45 yards and moose went 3 steps, shot it frontal

Hello, I recently shot 2 Cow Elk down on a Ranch in Region 5.

One was an adolescent at 476 yards the other was a full grown Cow , hit her at 824yards.

Both shot with my 338 LM, Berger 300gr OTMs at MV of 2810.

Big entrance hole, no exit it on either with massive internal damage.

Has anyone experienced this? Wasted a lot of meat on both shoulders.

Should I consider different bullet?

Congratulations! Excellent shooting and two elk down. Lots of good meat for the freezer.

I appreciate the performance report on the big Bergers. Based on the limited hunting I've done with 30 and 25 cal Bergers, that's about what I'd expect. Lots of damage and instant or near-instant death. I have not yet hunted with the OTM Berger though, so really appreciate the report.

After reading all the suggestions - I don't think I'd change the load at all. Just tuck the bullet close behind the shoulder instead of into it. Probably won't ruin as much meat that way.

Regards, Guy

One was an adolescent at 476 yards the other was a full grown Cow , hit her at 824yards.

You should consider a different shot placement! You shoot shoulder with large caliber you get the "Burger" you aimed at!

Id rather loose a little meat than take the chance of no expantion due to low impact velocities of a longrange shot. If your shots are under 400yds then you can use different bullets. So its up to the shooter to determine what shots he wants to equip for before he hits the field, Its hard to get a bullet that will preform perfectly at all ranges and have the BC preferred for longrange. Being a Longrange board we typically prepare for 600-900yds hunting situations, making the impact velocities for the Berger Hybrid and Hornady eldM just right to ensure quick kills!
James

Don't shoot them through the shoulder, problem solved!
We killed truck loaded of elk with RUMs and 300's at the same velocity and never had one not exit from 300-1300 yards, never shot one twice never had one pencil.

The wasted meat was what made me quit using Bergers.
Plenty of good bullets out there that don't ruin as much meat.

Understood thanks, they both were dead before they hit the ground, was surprised by lack exit.

I have another hunt early Feb, may load some CE 250 Lazers and give them a shot.
Sounds like PERFECT performance. Why would you change? DRT is the goal, right?

Or would you rather track the blood trail from an exit for a hundred yards or more?

Understood all,

I have another hunt 4-7 Feb, I'm just gonna shoot em in the head, not much to waste there, I'm not a big fan of tracking anything and clean kills.....kinda like getting erased from existence in a millisec.

I have great results also with the 300gr Berger Hunter in my 338 Lapua AR-30
I use H1000 and Lapua brass makes 1 mile shots with ease using kestrel.