Back country elk Idaho

brkem

Ok guys since a lot of you are local .I am trying to plan a back country elk hunt for next year with a guide.... anyone have good insight on 1. A good guide,and 2.what units should I look into....

I have been a non resident hunting Idaho since 1983. It has always been a DYI operation. And we have had very good results, had to make some changes when the wolves showed up tho. Last year I had a friend and 5 of his co workers hunt with Castle Creek out fitters. Said the food was okay, but in a week of hunting they only had seen 5 cows. And at 5k per man, I think that is a lill crazy. They hunted South of Salmon. Just a FYI.

They are very familiar with the area. It has been 5 years since I was there but there were very few animals. There are a few elk in the river breaks but the vast area on top doesn't have any. They don't hunt Cold Meadows any more. I guided in Cold meadows when the elk population was good(before wolves). Ask Travis I think he will level with you.

Since Idaho has no preference point system, even a newbie has some chance of drawing a controlled elk hunt. More elk, fewer hunters, better time frame are all reasons to apply for this special hunt. Applying for a controlled hunt on your own, less likely but good diy hunt....thru an outfitter allocation, much higher chance of draw. Downside.......none....can still hunt general season if unsuccessful in drawing CH.......best of luck......PM me if need specifics..........................FWB

The very best Elk hunting in the state is in unit 13. Ask any IDFG biologist. Mostly private property but there is an outfitter there that isn't that expensive.

Yes I have heard of mile high outfitters I have hunted with them 3 times., 98, 2002, 2004 so been a while but Travis and team gave it their all and hunt hard. I got elk on two of the 3 hunts.
So it has been awhile.

Hunted 3 times recently with Black Mountain outfitters out of Emigrant MT.
Not Idaho, but truly a real back country experience and hunt. Top notch, and hunts north boundary of the Yellowstone in Absorka wilderness.

I won't try another outfitter for awhile as this outfitter is truly one of the best, including guides, horses, food, camp, Grizzlies, elk and scenery.
Scott and Sandy Sallee are some of the best in the business.

Yes I have heard of mile high outfitters I have hunted with them 3 times., 98, 2002, 2004 so been a while but Travis and team gave it their all and hunt hard. I got elk on two of the 3 hunts.
So it has been awhile.

Hunted 3 times recently with Black Mountain outfitters out of Emigrant MT.
Not Idaho, but truly a real back country experience and hunt. Top notch, and hunts north boundary of the Yellowstone in Absorka wilderness.

I won't try another outfitter for awhile as this outfitter is truly one of the best, including guides, horses, food, camp, Grizzlies, elk and scenery.
Scott and Sandy Sallee are some of the best in the business.

Thanks for this info. I just messaged the outfitter for more info.

Jason

I would have to agree that unit 13 would be a good place to go. It's got a lot of landlocked public land. Which frustrates the heck out of me but the guides up there have lease land that gains then access to over half the unit, of which the public has no access to due to the pockets of public land being inside of the massive ranches up there. There aren't very many outfitter elk tags for that area, meaning that there's always a good elk population where they hunt.

It would also be smart to get a mule deer tag also, considering it's a really good unit for big mule deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.