Favorite shotgun

One Christmas, I said to my daughter, "take your pick of my shotguns." She chose the Light 12. Ugh, my favorite -- I figured she'd take the Beretta 391.
With that one gone, my favorite is the Stevens 311 SxS 16 gauge. Simple, fast, accurate. I'll take it this October & November for chukar, quail and grouse.

I really appreciate the beauty and craftsmanship in some shotguns and rifles. I'm not a collector though. I too have moved away from owning safe queens. Beautiful wood stocks will capture my eyes, but won't see any time in the field for me.
I felt the same way for a long time about not taking beautiful guns to the field. As I have put on a few more years, I have come to the conclusion that life is to short to shoot an ugly shotgun! My current go to for everything except the duck blind is a Browning Citori Field sporting grade VII in 28 gauge. I have always enjoyed the 28 for great patterns and minimal recoil.

Beautiful wood stocks will capture my eyes, but won't see any time in the field for me
As I have put on a few more years, I have come to the conclusion that life is to short to shoot an ugly shotgun!
I don't really have any high dollar shotguns but have a couple pretty nice ones.
My buddy was telling me how they are only a tool and don't worry about scratching them up. I laughed at him. But when I got home I was cleaning my old nice but cheap Remington model 58 that I was carrying for quite a few years and realized that there was actually only a couple small battle scars on it.
I may feel differently if I had true high dollar gun but I TRY not to sweat carrying a nice gun in the field anymore.

I felt the same way for a long time about not taking beautiful guns to the field. As I have put on a few more years, I have come to the conclusion that life is to short to shoot an ugly shotgun! My current go to for everything except the duck blind is a Browning Citori Field sporting grade VII in 28 gauge. I have always enjoyed the 28 for great patterns and minimal recoil.
That's what I'm talking about!

I've got 3 favorites:

Most sentimental is Grandpa's rabbit gun - Remington 870 wingmaster lightweight in .410

Favorite for sporting clays and any non-game targets - Caesar Guerini Magnus Sporting limited in 12ga 32" barrels

Game killer - REM 11/87 SPS 26" vent rib & also a rifled slug barrel - bought when I was 16yrs old and has killed many ducks geese rabbits and lots of deer!

Still have all 3

You are right, made in 1913 and marked model 1912. I am not sure what year Winchester changed their barrel markings from 1912 to simply 12. The 1935 16-gauge model 12 is marked model 12 rather model 1912.
Unless somebody has lengthened it, it has a short chamber too. Once the M12 chambers were lengthened they were stamped 2 3/4 on the barrel.

Favorite all time is Grandpa's Belgium Browning A5. Grandma bought it for him as a wedding present in the 50's and I never saw him shoulder another shotgun afield. He used to make fun of our 3&1/2" guns saying to my cousin and I, "if you can't hit it with 2&3/4 get out of the blind."
Mine has to be my Benelli Nova cause it was the first gun I ever bought myself. It has been all over Missouri and up to pheasant fields in South Dakota. And it was the last shotgun my best friend and I shot 5 stand with before he passed. M2's, SBE's, 870's, 1100's and SKB's are all great and some in the stable or saved for my kids but they don't have the memories of that Browning or my Nova.

Interested in hearing everyone's favorite shotgun. Manufacture, model and gauge.
Since my gun dog has developed some health issues I didn't get out with my scatter gun last year and probably won't until she passes and I decide to get another.
My favorite shotgun depends on what and where I am hunting but my absolute favorite is my Franchi AL 48 in 20 gauge.
Looking forward to hearing your favorite.
Browning Auto 5, 20 ga. modified, circa 1959. Dove, quail, duck, goose, it does it all and I've never felt undergunned.

My two favorite were both trap guns. Remington model 3200 over and under. It rewarded me my first 100 straight back in 1974. I also had great love for both my Browning BT-99's.
FNH, my love is with you on guns! But I sold my 3200 special trap in early 80's, should have never!! Purchased BT-99, shot it 17 years, rested it and got a Grade 3 BT-99, shot it a few years and got the "Hight Rib" bug and got a Kolar Max T-A combo. Awesome machine!!