Favorite shotgun

Cool topic, and it's really where I should introduce myself. I was raised as a bird hunter, and did so predominately up into my late 20's. Only starting to kill deer around 30 years ago (I'll be 53 next month). Rifles always bored me, shooting at a stationary "dot" didn't excite me. Only recently has the concept piqued my interest. I just bought a couple of Seekins rifles, toured the factory, and the boy and I enjoy poking holes in things at further distances now (when I can find him, lol).

My first "real" shotgun is one I bought new at 12yo, for $230 out of Shotgun News, an 870 20 ga LW magnum with a 28" mod barrel. I still have it today, (it was a replica of my dad's favorite at the time). I shot that gun SOLID for half a dozen years, but when I turned 16yo I got myself into trap shooting and then I really began a love affair with shotguns and shotgun shooting. I really don't know how many I've had, but a decent amount. For pure fit, function, and killing it would be a toss-up between a 1100 28ga Sporting clay and Beretta 303 20ga for "challenging birds", doves, quail, chukars. Browning B-80 12ga murdered countless #'s of ducks and geese. I own several Benelli's, and they shoot good too..but to me they're just not "classic", but they work fine. I went to Argentina 2 yrs ago to shoot doves and the outfitter had Breda Shotguns (Benelli Auto Clone), in 20ga that shot decent. The had alot of use on them and one day I went through 3-guns, but he had a good inventory of backup guns. It wasn't for lack of maintenance..just bad luck on my part. No other issues for our party the entire time.

Couple years ago I got bored and started buying Superposed. I went through about a dozen of them, buying/selling. I think I have 3-4 left..I'm not sure. My favorites are a 20ga Midas and a 28ga Pigeon. Both are 28" barrels, the 20ga is a skeet, and the 28ga is ic/mod. Oh yea...there's another 20ga field and a 12ga field from my great Uncle (that's a warhorse!). I'm done with the S-posed though, as they really don't appreciate unless you have a low production count gun...which is a shame! They're well built!

Living within 2hrs of Ljutic Shotguns in WA, one would think I may have used one of their guns...but I never cared for the feel of their trap guns, thus I never owned one. I always shot Perazzi Trap guns, since I was 17yo, and I still have (3) combo sets. I did have a Kreighoff O/U I shot well for doubles, but, like all trapshooters, I sold it. Life changes, and in my 30's I stopped shooting trap and bird hunting, but I kept deer hunting in WA, ID, & MT depending on tag availability. Eventually I re-started trapshooting, but just for "fun" and to introduce my son to it, not campaigning. I was able to procure a neat gun (to me) called a Bowen Single Barrel. The builder was a long-time gunsmith, who built a little over 100 of these magnificent guns and they were manufactured in Sturgis. They were exact copies of a gun that was designed and built by Tom Seitz of Salem, Oregon in the 80's. Tom only built 44 of these guns before he (and his step-son and his hunting partner) perished due to carbon monoxide poisoning from a propane heater during an elk hunt. I had met Tom when I first started trap shooting, and it was a goal of mine when I "grew-up" to be able to have him built a gun for me. Well, that wouldn't be in the cards (obviously), because after he passed the few guns he had built jumped in price to $15,000+ in the 90's! But fast forward several decades, and when I re-started shooting, an acquaintance from my youth who was still shooting had a Bowen for sale. He made me a heck of a deal on it, and I really enjoyed shooting the gun so much that I ended up buying 2 more of them (I'm down to just 2 now), and over time I became friends with the builder. Now when I travel to S.D. I stay stop and visit and at his place for a spell. Life is good! :)

Cool topic, and it's really where I should introduce myself. I was raised as a bird hunter, and did so predominately up into my late 20's. Only starting to kill deer around 30 years ago (I'll be 53 next month). Rifles always bored me, shooting at a stationary "dot" didn't excite me. Only recently has the concept piqued my interest. I just bought a couple of Seekins rifles, toured the factory, and the boy and I enjoy poking holes in things at further distances now (when I can find him, lol).

My first "real" shotgun is one I bought new at 12yo, for $230 out of Shotgun News, an 870 20 ga LW magnum with a 28" mod barrel. I still have it today, (it was a replica of my dad's favorite at the time). I shot that gun SOLID for half a dozen years, but when I turned 16yo I got myself into trap shooting and then I really began a love affair with shotguns and shotgun shooting. I really don't know how many I've had, but a decent amount. For pure fit, function, and killing it would be a toss-up between a 1100 28ga Sporting clay and Beretta 303 20ga for "challenging birds", doves, quail, chukars. Browning B-80 12ga murdered countless #'s of ducks and geese. I own several Benelli's, and they shoot good too..but to me they're just not "classic", but they work fine. I went to Argentina 2 yrs ago to shoot doves and the outfitter had Breda Shotguns (Benelli Auto Clone), in 20ga that shot decent. The had alot of use on them and one day I went through 3-guns, but he had a good inventory of backup guns. It wasn't for lack of maintenance..just bad luck on my part. No other issues for our party the entire time.

Couple years ago I got bored and started buying Superposed. I went through about a dozen of them, buying/selling. I think I have 3-4 left..I'm not sure. My favorites are a 20ga Midas and a 28ga Pigeon. Both are 28" barrels, the 20ga is a skeet, and the 28ga is ic/mod. Oh yea...there's another 20ga field and a 12ga field from my great Uncle (that's a warhorse!). I'm done with the S-posed though, as they really don't appreciate unless you have a low production count gun...which is a shame! They're well built!

Living within 2hrs of Ljutic Shotguns in WA, one would think I may have used one of their guns...but I never cared for the feel of their trap guns, thus I never owned one. I always shot Perazzi Trap guns, since I was 17yo, and I still have (3) combo sets. I did have a Kreighoff O/U I shot well for doubles, but, like all trapshooters, I sold it. Life changes, and in my 30's I stopped shooting trap and bird hunting, but I kept deer hunting in WA, ID, & MT depending on tag availability. Eventually I re-started trapshooting, but just for "fun" and to introduce my son to it, not campaigning. I was able to procure a neat gun (to me) called a Bowen Single Barrel. The builder was a long-time gunsmith, who built a little over 100 of these magnificent guns and they were manufactured in Sturgis. They were exact copies of a gun that was designed and built by Tom Seitz of Salem, Oregon in the 80's. Tom only built 44 of these guns before he (and his step-son and his hunting partner) perished due to carbon monoxide poisoning from a propane heater during an elk hunt. I had met Tom when I first started trap shooting, and it was a goal of mine when I "grew-up" to be able to have him built a gun for me. Well, that wouldn't be in the cards (obviously), because after he passed the few guns he had built jumped in price to $15,000+ in the 90's! But fast forward several decades, and when I re-started shooting, an acquaintance from my youth who was still shooting had a Bowen for sale. He made me a heck of a deal on it, and I really enjoyed shooting the gun so much that I ended up buying 2 more of them (I'm down to just 2 now), and over time I became friends with the builder. Now when I travel to S.D. I stay stop and visit and at his place for a spell. Life is good! :)
Welcome to the forum. I love how us enthusiasts go through fazes favoring different rifles/guns as we age.

Hi Backfencer, do we know each other? I have Bowen #33 and have known Bruce since about 1988.

Will you be in Tucson in a few weeks, would love to discuss "old times"

don

I've got several that I'm fond of…. Some I use a lot and a few I ain't shot in years. I love the cheap Mossber Maverick 88 because my dad got it for me as a kid ( my first 12 ga)…. I've got a couple 870's that's been along on a lot of fun dove/duck/turkey hunts. But as far as most enjoyable to shoot would be my
Benelli SBE 2 and my new Retay Gordion. The Retay is getting most of my attention now. It's easily one of the best feeling and best fitting shotguns for me.

Whichever one I have in hand, dependent on situation. Love fine O/U's, pump guns for digging out cats in the thick stuff, a tactical when and where required properly sorted and stuffed. All time best Belgium Diana 12 ga, circa '67 with engraving by a great metal artist.