Favorite gun and cartridge for hogs?

458 socom with Leigh defense 300 grain controlled fracturing hollow point.
Will blast a goofball sized hole through bone or the heavy plate behind the shoulder. Massive blood trails if they don't drop in their tracks.

I've shot a bunch of them over the years with a wide variety of calibers, but I generally lean to the 7mm's with 140/150 bullets and 30's with 150/165/180 bullets as the bulk of my hog hunting is spot and stalk and the extra power doesn't hurt a thing.

Do the guys hunting with 30 caliber and larger cartridges eat the hogs that they shoot? Does shooting them with large hollow point type rounds impact on the meat quality and quantity?

In my experience a decent sized sow hog shot broadside through the front shoulder with a 30 caliber or larger diameter hunting bullet doesn't do too much damage to the near shoulder, but typically destroys the off-shoulder side assuming the bullet exits. If its a larger boar which can have a thick "shield" covering its front shoulder, that same shot more likely than not destroys both shoulders, assuming the bullet exits. I don't have any experience using hollow points in the larger calibers on hogs, however, when it comes to shooting hogs, especially big ones, bullets that expand too fast are generally not your friend.

Do the guys hunting with 30 caliber and larger cartridges eat the hogs that they shoot? Does shooting them with large hollow point type rounds impact on the meat quality and quantity?

In my experience a decent sized sow hog shot broadside through the front shoulder with a 30 caliber or larger diameter hunting bullet doesn't do too much damage to the near shoulder, but typically destroys the off-shoulder side assuming the bullet exits. If its a larger boar which can have a thick "shield" covering its front shoulder, that same shot more likely than not destroys both shoulders, assuming the bullet exits. I don't have any experience using hollow points in the larger calibers on hogs, however, when it comes to shooting hogs, especially big ones, bullets that expand too fast are generally not your friend.

Ive shot some hogs and I typically go for a neck/head shot and the only 30 cal Ive ever used on any was a 300 blackout
I know they are a pest and many people shoot them for that reason but I try to eat anything that I shoot or catch fishing so I try to preserve the meat the best I can
The Barnes bullets seem well suited for that reason though Ive shot them with Nosler, Weatherby and Hornady rounds too and they all went down

I use my Ruger No. 1 in 7x57 Mauser shooting 168 grain bullets; that and the 30-06 are the favorite cartridges in Europe for Boars.

Last edited:
I have had luck with the
Smaller cartridges in the head. All dropped on the spot. 375 h&h with 235 tsx put them right down with a shoulder shot. Ive had them run with 6.5swede,280, 06.they are tough. I go for head and heart if i can.

I use the same thing that I use for deer, black bear, and pretty much everything else LOL. I have a Remington 700 CDL in 30-06 with a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14-50 Illum reticle. I shoot 180 grain corelokts. They've always shot well for me. I try to put a bullet into that shoulder joint complex right where the spine comes in. On a perfect shot you hit that joint and take out both shoulders sending pieces of bone or bullet into the spine and maybe the front of the lungs. I'm just getting into long range shooting, so pardon my caveman rifle LOL.

I use the same thing that I use for deer, black bear, and pretty much everything else LOL. I have a Remington 700 CDL in 30-06 with a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14-50 Illum reticle. I shoot 180 grain corelokts. They've always shot well for me. I try to put a bullet into that shoulder joint complex right where the spine comes in. On a perfect shot you hit that joint and take out both shoulders sending pieces of bone or bullet into the spine and maybe the front of the lungs. I'm just getting into long range shooting, so pardon my caveman rifle LOL.
Love that rifle! 06 can go long these days!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.