Fair price for reloading?

What is your time worth? Fair for friends that you want to encourage is probably different than fair for gen population. There is nothing wrong with charging for expenses and your time away from family, kids, grandkids is/should be considered and expense. Not a tax guy or a lawyer, but I think if you are charging for your expenses then you should not be in trouble with the IRS nor ATF nor any other of the 3-letter agencies.

Agree totally with Coyote Shadow Tracker very understandable you want to help your friends, however God forbid anything did happen. I have a neighbor whom began reloading and selling once done you are commerical. Different set of rules, my neighbor was in business for a very short time when he spoke with a lawyer.

I have 3 friends and some relatives who are learning to reload on my equipment with my supervision. Their components and their labor. I've had some ask me to load for their rifles, but I refuse. Boils down to one word, "Liability ".

I wouldn't load for others, too much that can go wrong.

However! I've happily taught friends how to reload on my equipment. Have them pick up components or sell them yours at cost and get them going. If they decide it's too much effort, their loss. If it's not worth their time, it's certainly not worth mine to do it for them.

I reload for very close friends only. Charging for it is not even in my thoughts. Can't sell ammo without a FFL and the liability is over the top doing so. If they were to sell that ammo to someone else, or sell it with the rifle at a later time and something went wrong and made it back to you, it wouldn't be a good deal at all. If they want to give me a gift card or a bottle of my favorite bourbon as a gift then that's another story. I have a local experience of a friend that was charging for it and went down a long slippery slope with a issue of some his hand loads being used in a crime. No FFL, he's spent thousands on legal issues.

Last edited:
I have been reloading for a couple buddies that recently had custom rifles built. They are paying for all of the components themselves and I basically just have my time in it. I also will take the rifles out and shoot them when doing load development. I'm not trying to make a bunch of money off them but they have insisted on paying and I would like to know if anyone has done something similar and what you charged/how you came up with your price. Appreciate any insight.
Just consider the legal aspects of doing this. Especially if you charge.

One thing that you have to consider is the liability involved in reloading cartridges for someone else. Friends or not friends. If there is a malfunction on the rifle/pistol and damage to the firearm who is going to get the blame? God forbid any injury to a person. When it comes to money and injury the friendship usually goes away. Whether you get paid for it or not. Also if you are taking money you are considered a professional.
This subject was brought up discussed several times on LRH.
I have been reloading for many years and won't give out any of my reloads also won't accept any reloads from other reloaders. I have helped friends start reloading, but they do the actual reloads with their components and equipment.
Yep, I agree with Coyote...If I reload my rounds and blow my face off, that's on me, but if my reloads injure someone else or damage their firearm(s), then I have done a grave disservice to them. It's not worth any amount of money IMHO.

While I have helped friends(and relatives) out "in a pinch", at no charge, my approach was to help teach them how to reload, demonstrating with my own equipment, time, and often, my components. This was done with the understanding that they have the desire to learn, make the investment in the required equipment, and do their own reloading. This has worked out quite well over the decades.
"Teach a man to fish……………"

I have been reloading for a couple buddies that recently had custom rifles built. They are paying for all of the components themselves and I basically just have my time in it. I also will take the rifles out and shoot them when doing load development. I'm not trying to make a bunch of money off them but they have insisted on paying and I would like to know if anyone has done something similar and what you charged/how you came up with your price. Appreciate any insight.
Just consider the legal aspects of doing this, especially if you are charging. I remember something about the Vegas shooting and the guy had used reloaded ammo supplied by "a friend" and they were going to prosecute him

One thing that you have to consider is the liability involved in reloading cartridges for someone else. Friends or not friends. If there is a malfunction on the rifle/pistol and damage to the firearm who is going to get the blame? God forbid any injury to a person. When it comes to money and injury the friendship usually goes away. Whether you get paid for it or not. Also if you are taking money you are considered a professional.
This subject was brought up discussed several times on LRH.
I have been reloading for many years and won't give out any of my reloads also won't accept any reloads from other reloaders. I have helped friends start reloading, but they do the actual reloads with their components and equipment.
I reloaded for a gun shop for a little while and came up with the same self-preservation realization.... It's just too much of a risk.
even for a buddy..........maybe once or twice but that's it.

How much for top of the line factory ammo per round? That minus 10% they're saving money and you're not doing it for nothing.

I've done it for years for a ton of friends and friends of friends and I'll never charge a penny. I do have them purchase all components. It allows me to enjoy load development year round doing what I love and not costing me a penny.

Highly illegal without a class 6 FFL