Fair price for reloading?

You should consider man and machine hours.
Figure the rate per hour that your expertise is worth.
Add a rate for the use of all your equipment (equipment wears out and you will certainly have to repair or replace items)
And add the time and fuel costs for taking it to the range for testing.
Also add in for insurance you most certainly must have for when one of your friends blows his face off and blames you for it!
I've trusted my reloads more after finding a 7 mm bullet in a box of factory 300 WSM

Curious how many of you guys that are concerned with blowing my friends faces up have had those type of experiences with your reloads?
No, not my ammo, (I don't give ammo made for my rifle to others) but I know of people trying to jam and shoot 30-06 in a 270 or visa versa, and similar combinations that could have been a potential disaster.

My sister and I had a lemonade stand when I was a kid. Back then you could do that too… without fear of jail, tickets or some sort of legal action.
Search arrested for lemonade stand…

To the OP: Now that you're on the list😉, be careful. 7 out of 10 people have pinned the "criminal" label on your activity… shh. brb, I think I hear helicopters
No more helicopter. All drones now

Curious how many of you guys that are concerned with blowing my friends faces up have had those type of experiences with your reloads?
I understand that shooting has risks. Setting off explosions right next to your face. I have zero concern about my reloads. However I know if a catastrophic failure happens reloaded ammunition will automatically be blamed by every gun manufacturer.

Same deal if I reload for someone else. I would be most burdened by a injury lawyer seeking damages from everyone involved. Doesn't matter what kind of failure the reloads will always be the easiest target.

So you decide the risk you are willing to accept. Just remember you aren't accepting only your own actions, but you are bearing the responsibility of every link in the chain.

I reload for just me. My son wanted me to reload some for him. so I told him "Hey - glad to show how." IF you decide to do it for others, then talk to an attorney about what liability you face and insurance to buy.

Last edited:
I have had a lot of friends asking if I would reload for them and they were going to pay good for it but it's always sorry won't do it. I load for my self and my son

I have had a lot of friends asking if I would reload for them and they were going to pay good for it but it's always sorry won't do it. I load for my self and my son
Do I reload for friends? Of course I do especially these days with all of the covid related stuff going on but within my limitations. No, I can load just about anything and mostly do. My limitations are that the firearm be in good shape, Let me inspect it, and no hot loads. I have found that the most accurate loads are not the Max loads but somewhere less than that. I am not a hoarder, but over the years I have accumulated a lot of reloading supplies that have been recently in short supply. Do I have primers? of course I do. Do I have powder? Depends on what you want loaded. Do I have bullets? Again, it depends on what you want loaded. Loading rifle cartridges I find much easier and safer than handgun ammo. It's next to impossible to do a double charge of powder in a rifle cartridge while a double charge in a pistol cartridge is not only easily possible but if not paying attention can be a big time issue as well as dangerous. If one is careful no powder or double charges do not happen, but one has to be careful to make sure that doesn't happen. I charge my primed cases and put them in a loading block. When done take a flashlight and look down into the charged cases to make sure that the levels of powder are the same in each and every cartridge. Empty's are easy to spot as are double charges. Am I worried when I touch off one of my loads? Not in the least. Am I worried when one of my friends touches off one of my loads? Absolutely not. Each and every step of the process is documented and recorded so I am confident when I hand a box of ammo to my friend it will perform as well and be as safe as factory loads. I started loading in 1970, in the ensuing 52 years I have not had any round that I have loaded hang or misfire, nor have I had any squib loads. It comes from paying attention to detail and personal quality control. Never load when tired and never load if one has had even one shot of hard stuff or one bottle of beer. Gunpowder and alcohol do not mix either on the loading bench or on the range.

You do need the FFL to load ammo for sale. Doing it for free "might" skirt that concern since you are not "selling" but you'd still have the liability. Even if you trust your buddies, would that extend to his wife and kids if a disaster happened?
You need a class 6 and a class 7 ffl to make and manufacture ammo that will also cover building firearms if you ever want to do so . Like building AR platforms for yourself or friends or just to sale.