Fair price for reloading?

What's it worth?

Probably 5-10 years or more depending upon circumstances. We also live in a litigious society which can turn on you in NY second.

Its really unfortunate we have to perform risk benefit analysis on things we enjoy to do but regulations and liability present risks that cannot be ignored.

I would bend over backwards to help someone start to reload but will never "sell" or trade with the risk involved.

I have been reloading for a couple buddies that recently had custom rifles built. They are paying for all of the components themselves and I basically just have my time in it. I also will take the rifles out and shoot them when doing load development. I'm not trying to make a bunch of money off them but they have insisted on paying and I would like to know if anyone has done something similar and what you charged/how you came up with your price. Appreciate any insight.
I have to second what Coyote Shadow Tracker said. It is very generous to share your knowledge and experience with friends, but beware what can become of a friendship in the event of a mishap. This is especially true if the victim suffers serious disability or even death. The family members of your former friend may feel "it is only just for your to compensate them for their loss."
This is the sad state or our legal liability system in the good ole USA.

I load for my 74yo FIL. It's horrible you have to second guess helping friends out. Seems there are quite a few threads about kabooms with reloads and then there was that YouTube guy, Kentucky ballistic, that famously shot some reloads and almost killed himself while filming.

I will invite certain friends over to use my equipment so that they can load their own ammo. For some good friends I might even borrow their rifles and do some development for them if I know they don't have time.

There is absolutely no way in hell I'm shooting anyone else's reloads. I have zero faith in Billy Bob down the street.
They were NOT reloads, they were original ROFOUS rounds.

(Spelling may be off a little)

Cheers.

If a friend or family member used their own time to reload ammo, do load development or teach me, I would be so grateful. If they would not take money, I would want to be bringing gifts of appreciation, taking them to dinner or doing something reciprocal.

Money for compensation between friends cheapens a friendship in my opinion.

Actually, you also must have a Class6 FFL to legally load ammo and GIVE IT AWAY. You can let friends use your equipment but not load for them. fine line and they need to be really good friends.... Stay safe out there folks. Never give them a reason......
If you don't trust them in your home, don't load for them.

Talk about reloading. I once saw a shotgun a Auto loader where the person got the shot and powder bushing mixed up. The shotgun ended up as being a good conversation piece, and a wall hanger. He was loading 1 1/8 shot loads using Red Dot powder.

Talk about reloading. I once saw a shotgun a Auto loader where the person got the shot and powder bushing mixed up. The shotgun ended up as being a good conversation piece, and a wall hanger. He was loading 1 1/8 shot loads using Red Dot powder.
Didn't notice the wad protruding from the hull? Bet crimping was interesting

I appreciate everyone's input. I've been reloading for about 15 years and have never reloaded for anyone but myself. Definitely a lot to take into consideration. More then likely just going to finish load development for these guys then give them a shopping list and get them setup to reload for themselves.

I load for my 74yo FIL. It's horrible you have to second guess helping friends out. Seems there are quite a few threads about kabooms with reloads and then there was that YouTube guy, Kentucky ballistic, that famously shot some reloads and almost killed himself while filming.

I will invite certain friends over to use my equipment so that they can load their own ammo. For some good friends I might even borrow their rifles and do some development for them if I know they don't have time.

There is absolutely no way in hell I'm shooting anyone else's reloads. I have zero faith in Billy Bob down the street.
Edit: Looks like a couple people beat me to this.

In Kentucky Ballistic's defense the ammo he bought was listed as brand new military surplus ammo.

To date there was speculation that it was reloading but last I saw they are still analyzing the rifle and ammo to determine the cause. Serbu has posted a few videos on things they have ruled out though.

You should consider man and machine hours.
Figure the rate per hour that your expertise is worth.
Add a rate for the use of all your equipment (equipment wears out and you will certainly have to repair or replace items)
And add the time and fuel costs for taking it to the range for testing.
Also add in for insurance you most certainly must have for when one of your friends blows his face off and blames you for it!

You should consider man and machine hours.
Figure the rate per hour that your expertise is worth.
Add a rate for the use of all your equipment (equipment wears out and you will certainly have to repair or replace items)
And add the time and fuel costs for taking it to the range for testing.
Also add in for insurance you most certainly must have for when one of your friends blows his face off and blames you for it!
Curious how many of you guys that are concerned with blowing my friends faces up have had those type of experiences with your reloads?