Factory seconds.

clemens

Is it my imagination that the shelves on gun shops are filled with boxes apon boxes of factory seconds. Seems like since manufacturers are trying to get product out that quality is suffering to some degree. Has anyone used any, did they shoot well how was brass quality?

I called Sierra to order some bullets that was online but I could not get the product to add to my cart.
I asked if they had secondhand bullets since they are running 24/7. They said they were almost empty of every caliber. (6mm - 33 cal) I said that means quality control has gone down or your 75 year old machines are all of a sudden putting out superior bullets. But I agree. Another thing is seconds that you can buy directly from the manf, state they can not be resold. I guess that doesn't include Midway and Basspro and company. Lastly, the price of seconds are what firsts were two years ago.

I've used quite a few of Sierras. You do need to sort them but I've had very few culls (as in wrong wt, or a tip missing). Most shoot just as good as 1st runs. I use them alot for load development then switch to 1st runs when I get close. Also run them for practice ammo in pistols. Never had any issues.
I shoot 168 Nosler seconds in my 7mm Mag. I shoot them for good groups out to 900 yards along with Berger 168's (non-blems). I guess I don't shoot well enough to tell the differences in blems vs. non-blems.

I shoot 168 Nosler seconds in my 7mm Mag. I shoot them for good groups out to 900 yards along with Berger 168's (non-blems). I guess I don't shoot well enough to tell the differences in blems vs. non-blems.
I honestly can't either in my 7mag also with 168s lol. In the 7mm I do see wieght variation but usually pretty minute but the normally group just fine. With the .223s I run the 55g blitzkings, with them I do get the occasional flyer though. With the plastic tips possibly out of square or whatever got them kicked out I guess that's bound to happen.

When things don't work out well what would the problem be - is it the bullet or dozens of other things.

Measuring bullets will work to some extent. I have some 2nds and I use them in my 118 year old M96 Swedish, and get on paper bullets. I bought a few pounds of 6.5 120 Nosler Customs and sorted enough for each days use; I noticed that the open points varied in diameter and the bullets with smaller openings were longer, best group at 100 was about 3 inches unsorted and 4 inches sorted - flyers. Rolling other bullets on a flat surface shows a very few wobbling plastic tips. Weighing blems shows very minor variations, like .1-.3 grains. Apparently, ogive variations are the biggest problem. I compared some first rate 6.5 130 ELDM with same blems with identical loads in my 6.5X47L. The nice bullets grouped less than .5, the bad bullets had flyer problems despite my sorting and inspection routine.

Good for get on paper sight in & some pressure indications when seated back. I avoid buying blems.

Local bullet stores have almost totally empty shelves - like 3-4 boxes of odd ball bullets instead of 100's of common useful ones for shooting deers, rodents, elks,, targets & defense use with popular calibers - or real expensive bullets like for $80 per hundred having aluminum tips. Saw some 410 grain .416 bullets a few days ago, gopher season is approaching.

Last edited:
I loaded 20 of the 7mm 168 ABLR Nosler seconds for my 7 SAUM and the COAL is all over the place, they are not very consistent. But I've shot plenty of seconds in 140 AB, 120 BT, and others and won't worry yet.

I can definately see your point with what you've experienced. I agree most wieght variations are usually pretty minimal. I've had a few 50g mixed in with the 55g and a few missing tips but that's about it. Personally I've not had that big a problem with grouping them. Again with the .223s I can normally put 5 shots in a .5 or less but occasionally like maybe 1 or 2 shots per 15ish will go out an inch or so out of group. Always completely at random. Of course it could be me but I just expect there is a reason they were 2nds and just live with it lol.

Just seeing huge amount of factory second factory ammo was just curious how it was performing or if it was just bullets with issues or if brass had flaws? Unfortunately most of what I find is not what I could use.

On loaded ammo I can not say. I would think it would just be the projectiles. I have seen but can't remember the brand name of some "factory" reloaded ammo that was labeled 2nds.

On loaded ammo I can not say. I would think it would just be the projectiles. I have seen but can't remember the brand name of some "factory" reloaded ammo that was labeled 2nds.

Nosler has some that they label as cosmetic blems and state that they will perform just as well. The issue with using brass that is cosmetic blems, at least to me, is that they come from different lots. I bought some 280AI Nosler brass about a year ago and then thought about the suspicion I had so I called Nosler, and they confirmed the lot variation. So I sold it and bought Peterson brass....this was back when components were common.

if it comes down to getting cosmetic blems or getting nothing at all, but if given a choice I will not select blems for that reason.

For .22lr, I was told the "seconds" had a higher than acceptable velocity spread, so they rejected the whole lot #.
They all went off, but the accuracy from shot to shot could suffer. That is the only loaded round I have experience with.
As for bullets, it is either cosmetic, or dimensional/weight variations from set-up.
I have used "seconds" in .223 plinking loads with no problems, but the 9mm 147's I found last year had a few bad ones.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.