Factory seconds.

Seems like since manufacturers are trying to get product out that quality is suffering to some degree.
Or the reject rate is the same, just on a higher volume of output. I've been buying factory seconds for years, there might now finally be enough of them to get past the people who used to go looking for them.

Oddball seconds don't matter for a lot of things - subs, reduced recoil loads, break-in loads, fireforming, big long list of things where as long as they come out the end of the barrel that's all that matters.

On loaded ammo I can not say. I would think it would just be the projectiles. I have seen but can't remember the brand name of some "factory" reloaded ammo that was labeled 2nds.
I had a nephew who worked at a bullet mfg. with load development if a batch was below published FPS it was set aside as seconds. Interestingly though if it was production run it passed.

Is it my imagination that the shelves on gun shops are filled with boxes apon boxes of factory seconds. Seems like since manufacturers are trying to get product out that quality is suffering to some degree. Has anyone used any, did they shoot well how was brass quality?
I used nosler 2nds for years and they work fine ! Usually just have a blemish or other small imperfection that causes them to be a 2nd ! Doesn't affect accuracy at all !

I had a nephew who worked at a bullet mfg. with load development if a batch was below published FPS it was set aside as seconds. Interestingly though if it was production run it passed.
That is interesting. Guess that's kinda why we all do what we do here with handloading lol.

I've used Nosler's factory "blems" in my 257 and have been very happy, so happy that I wish I had bought a case years ago! I never measured COAL or weighed them, but visually they looked perfect.

I have yet to load the brass from the Blem ammo, but good to know about the lot variation within them.

I hope the Sierra seconds shoot fine. My stepson works just down the road from them and I had him pick up four pounds of .22 cal 55gr Gamekings. He hasn't been back home so I haven't laid my hands on them yet. I had him check on several different bullets and the 55gr were the only ones they had.

I hope the Sierra seconds shoot fine. My stepson works just down the road from them and I had him pick up four pounds of .22 cal 55gr Gamekings. He hasn't been back home so I haven't laid my hands on them yet. I had him check on several different bullets and the 55gr were the only ones they had.
If they are anything like the 55g blitzkings I've gotten from there you'll be just fine. Killed a lot of coyotes with them and they didn't know the difference lol. As said before, sort through them just in case there's an old ball in the bag.

Nosler seconds/blem factory ammo worked on this cow elk, 7mm08 140 grain e-tip ammo that they were clearing out at like $25/box. Shot well under 1" when I tried it, so I was comfortable with the 370 yard shot when I took it.

223D5E21-E22B-4E17-A335-7A45AC117C09.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.