Factory rifles

SamuelBerryhill308

Hello all I'm eyeing couple different factory rifles and I know what caliber I'm wanting but I would like some pros and cons of the ones I'm looking at to purchase later down the road I'm wanting to do a semi custom build and want a rifle I can use this season and then build on later I'm looking at savage lr hunter, Remington 700 long range hunter,christenson arms mesa,and bergara ridge and bergara hmr winchester 70 extreme weather and browning x bolt out of these rifles there is a couple on that list that i will probably end up leaving the way they are maybe do a stock or trigger job on but I would like to hear some real input on these

Last edited:
I own the Bergara B14 HMR, one in 6.5 Creed and another for the Grandson in 7mm Rem Mag, they are well built, they are on the heavy side, but with the barrel they have it is heavier than a normal factory rifle with the pencil barrel. The action is smooth, the trigger breaks clean, best one I have had from a factory rifle, the barrel is free floated. The load development was easy on the 7 mag, have not had time on the 6.5 Creed, but will start soon. You cannot go wrong in the Bergara, it is the best factory rifle you can buy without going Custom, in my opinion, I was able to purchase both from TSS Warehouse, the 6.5 Creed for under 850.00 and the 7mag for under 800.00. Good luck in whichever way you go.

I own the Bergara B14 HMR, one in 6.5 Creed and another for the Grandson in 7mm Rem Mag, they are well built, they are on the heavy side, but with the barrel they have it is heavier than a normal factory rifle with the pencil barrel. The action is smooth, the trigger breaks clean, best one I have had from a factory rifle, the barrel is free floated. The load development was easy on the 7 mag, have not had time on the 6.5 Creed, but will start soon. You cannot go wrong in the Bergara, it is the best factory rifle you can buy without going Custom, in my opinion, I was able to purchase both from TSS Warehouse, the 6.5 Creed for under 850.00 and the 7mag for under 800.00. Good luck in whichever way you go.

I second this, if you are wanting something semi custom, it's hard to beat the Bergara. I have heard a lot of guys really liking the Christiansen though if you have a little more budget.
The benefit of the Savage and Remington are the larger supply of aftermarket components.
My opinion of Remington I'll keep to myself ,but I would still recommend the first two on a minimum component swap out build.

A lot of companies have stepped up their game in quality of their rifles over the last few years. I have always likes the Remington 700s. There are plenty of after market parts to improve upon the factory parts and they are easy to maintain. You can get the basic 700 ADL from Academy Sports (Oklahoma) for less than $300.00. Pull it out of the plastic (Tupperware) stock and drop it into a composite or aluminum stock and by just doing that will improve your accuracy. Also lap the bore! This will smooth out the rifling. Shoot it once you have done this and see if you like it or not. If not you can either true/blue print the action, install a one piece bolt or custom barrel. I'm lucky because I have a lathe and a mill. I build my own rifles from stripped 700 actions.

Last edited:
The Savage will be the easiest to build on. Many don't like them because they call them ugly but pretty is what pretty does. If the barrel does not shoot well which is uncommon with Savage once broken in they are the easiest and cheapest to put a quality barrel on and do it yourself. I have more Rem.. 700s than anything but I have had them a long time and all of them have aftermarket quality barrels and replacement stocks and the old Remington triggers that have been tuned properly.

I bought 2 Browning X Bolts 6.5 PRC and very very Happy. 1 is a Hells Canyon Speed 24 inch barrel for the wife 1st time out last fall she took a Buck at 321 yds DRT 2. X Bolt Pro Long Range 26 inch barrel could be considered a Semi Custom and at 418 yards a nice 4x5 Buck DRT
Trigger I will update with the Cabo springs as the factory is not the best. Breaking in barrels and practicing 1/2 to 3/4 MOA using Hornady Factory 143 ELD X Kinda hard to beat. But everyone has their favorite Brand. Just My experience.

Last edited:
Hello all I'm eyeing couple different factory rifles and I know what caliber I'm wanting but I would like some pros and cons of the ones I'm looking at to purchase later down the road I'm wanting to do a semi custom build and want a rifle I can use this season and then build on later I'm looking at savage lr hunter, Remington 700 long range hunter,christenson arms mesa,and bergara ridge and bergara hmr winchester 70 extreme weather and browning x bolt out of these rifles there is a couple on that list that i will probably end up leaving the way they are maybe do a stock or trigger job on but I would like to hear some real input on these
My vote Christiansen

I have a Rem 700 LR in 7 mag and it has been a great rifle. Heavy as all get out but accurate. I put a Timney on it (which is a must) and I recently put a Bell and Carlson Long Range Hunter stock on it because I didn't like the M40 style it came with. If I could go back, I would just buy the Sendero and replace the trigger. In my opinion, steer away from Browning unless you want to leave them as is. Bergara has a Rem 700 footprint so components are easy to find. Savage can be difficult to find certain things you might like such as stocks. If you want to upgrade over time, look up all the parts you would want and see what's available. Do tons of research before you buy. As they say... buy once, cry once

Man, that's quite the price spread! Value and quality for the money, I have always like the Browning X-bolt (for hunting purposes). If you are looking to longer range performance then the question of weight comes up. I've succumbed to selling off my heavy rifles, and realizing that most of the shots are 500 yards and in. I really like the feel of the Christensen Arms rifles...one of those rifles that you purchase, and just keep forever. Bergara are really nice, very accurate...but like quoted above, perhaps a bit heavy for hauling up a steep hillside. Savage has very good quality control on their barrels. I had the .338 Lapua tactical version (hefty). So....low cost pure hunter....Browning X-bolt, higher dollars, lifetime investment - Christensen Arms. Had the Sendero in .300 WM, nice rifle, but the heavier barrel profile is a bit much if your are mountain hunting. I guess it all comes down to ....where are you hunting, and what kind of distances are your launching your bullets over.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts