Factory rifles

Hello all I'm eyeing couple different factory rifles and I know what caliber I'm wanting but I would like some pros and cons of the ones I'm looking at to purchase later down the road I'm wanting to do a semi custom build and want a rifle I can use this season and then build on later I'm looking at savage lr hunter, Remington 700 long range hunter,christenson arms mesa,and bergara ridge and bergara hmr winchester 70 extreme weather and browning x bolt out of these rifles there is a couple on that list that i will probably end up leaving the way they are maybe do a stock or trigger job on but I would like to hear some real input on these
Tikka?

I own the Bergara B14 HMR, one in 6.5 Creed and another for the Grandson in 7mm Rem Mag, they are well built, they are on the heavy side, but with the barrel they have it is heavier than a normal factory rifle with the pencil barrel. The action is smooth, the trigger breaks clean, best one I have had from a factory rifle, the barrel is free floated. The load development was easy on the 7 mag, have not had time on the 6.5 Creed, but will start soon. You cannot go wrong in the Bergara, it is the best factory rifle you can buy without going Custom, in my opinion, I was able to purchase both from TSS Warehouse, the 6.5 Creed for under 850.00 and the 7mag for under 800.00. Good luck in whichever way you go.
Hello all I'm eyeing couple different factory rifles and I know what caliber I'm wanting but I would like some pros and cons of the ones I'm looking at to purchase later down the road I'm wanting to do a semi custom build and want a rifle I can use this season and then build on later I'm looking at savage lr hunter, Remington 700 long range hunter,christenson arms mesa,and bergara ridge and bergara hmr winchester 70 extreme weather and browning x bolt out of these rifles there is a couple on that list that i will probably end up leaving the way they are maybe do a stock or trigger job on but I would like to hear some real input on these
Sam -

I picked up the browning x-bolt pro long range in 7 mm Remington mag and has put some really impressive groups together down range. Right now I have yet to find a partition factory load that equals Hornady precision hunter or the American whitetails accuracy in this rifle. Elk is next year for me So I want aand need a hard hitting bullet, time to go to the bench.
18542950-215F-476E-80D1-5BA105503519.jpeg

Based on your choices (other than Savage) I assume you like the Rem 700 Platform.
Though I don't own a Begara, they get good reviews other than being heavy. I know Tikka didn't make your list But, IMHO, the Tikka is the or one of the best factory rifles made. The T3x lite is easy to carry around. The trigger is exceptional and can be made safely lighter with a $10 spring. Some folks don't like the stocks or plastic mags ( I do) but you indicated you might want to customize. The Tikka T3x CTR has a SS threaded barrel and metal underside if that matters to you. The company guarantees submoa and all of mine were right out of the box
I own 5 Tikkas for the reasons above. Do your research and I'll bet you'll find what you're looking for.
oh wow how could I forget one of the most accurate rifles ever Tikka you are right on with the Tikka in aspects great trigger super smooth action and light weight in t3 lite love my Tikkas

I got a Remington 5R Gen 2 in 300 and its a tack driver out of the box. Shooting M16 for 20 years I don't have a issue with the trigger it adjusts and feel's good to me. Not a big fan of the stock but Magpul makes the hunter stock that bottom metal can be added. Stainless that's been cerakote and almost a pound liter the the Bergara spend the extra on the glass

I got a Remington 5R Gen 2 in 300 and its a tack driver out of the box. Shooting M16 for 20 years I don't have a issue with the trigger it adjusts and feel's good to me. Not a big fan of the stock but Magpul makes the hunter stock that bottom metal can be added. Stainless that's been cerakote and almost a pound liter the the Bergara spend the extra on the glass
I've been looking at those as well I really thang as far as remington gos there the best bang for the buck and there really nice rifles

I own the Bergara B14 HMR, one in 6.5 Creed and another for the Grandson in 7mm Rem Mag, they are well built, they are on the heavy side, but with the barrel they have it is heavier than a normal factory rifle with the pencil barrel. The action is smooth, the trigger breaks clean, best one I have had from a factory rifle, the barrel is free floated. The load development was easy on the 7 mag, have not had time on the 6.5 Creed, but will start soon. You cannot go wrong in the Bergara, it is the best factory rifle you can buy without going Custom, in my opinion, I was able to purchase both from TSS Warehouse, the 6.5 Creed for under 850.00 and the 7mag for under 800.00. Good luck in whichever way you go.
I agree that you cannot go wrong with the Bergara! my son has a Bergara B14 HMR, in 6.5 Creed and what an amazing shooter! Very accurate out of the box!

oh wow how could I forget one of the most accurate rifles ever Tikka you are right on with the Tikka in aspects great trigger super smooth action and light weight in t3 lite love my Tikkas
I bought a sako 85 hunter in .300 win mag, 3/8 of an inch of the throat was missing! Quality control is none existent. Sold that rifle after 100 rounds went down the barrel for the price of one high end boat paddle ($750.00 on a 2000.00 rifle). Went back to browning highly advise x-bolt pro long range. Watch out for Beretta.

Sneuses, sorry to hear of your Sako 85 problem. One runs the risk of getting a lemon 🍋 with any factory rifle
To the OP, understanding that all factory rifles can have flaws that preclude them from being accurate is important. Buying a custom rifle is one way to dramatically reduce buying an inaccurate rifle. Buy a custom rifle comes at a cost. Typical custom/semi custom rifles are 3x the cost of factory rifles. I've owned Remington, Winchester, Ruger, CZ, Anshutz, and Tikka. The Tikkas have been the most consistent. Anshutz about the same but I only own one Anshutz. I bought my first rifle 50 years ago. I purchased my first custom rifle last year. A 6CM m24 contour Bartlein barrel on an Impact Precision action, MPA chassis, Trigger Tech Diamond trigger topped with an ACTAR 7-35x56 scope. It's a benchrest rifle I use PD hunting. It's ridiculously accurate. I recommend factory Tikka rifles, especially the varmint version, to every person that asks me what factory rifle they should consider buying.

Sneuses, sorry to hear of your Sako 85 problem. One runs the risk of getting a lemon 🍋 with any factory rifle
To the OP, understanding that all factory rifles can have flaws that preclude them from being accurate is important. Buying a custom rifle is one way to dramatically reduce buying an inaccurate rifle. Buy a custom rifle comes at a cost. Typical custom/semi custom rifles are 3x the cost of factory rifles. I've owned Remington, Winchester, Ruger, CZ, Anshutz, and Tikka. The Tikkas have been the most consistent. Anshutz about the same but I only own one Anshutz. I bought my first rifle 50 years ago. I purchased my first custom rifle last year. A 6CM m24 contour Bartlein barrel on an Impact Precision action, MPA chassis, Trigger Tech Diamond trigger topped with an ACTAR 7-35x56 scope. It's a benchrest rifle I use PD hunting. It's ridiculously accurate. I recommend factory Tikka rifles, especially the varmint version, to every person that asks me what factory rifle they should consider buying.
Just saying I have 4 x-bolts now and never a problem and they all shoot clover leafs. I always wanted a sako it was simply not meant to be.

To answer al those questions I hunt deer mostly but plan on going elk and bear hunting next year and hope to add pronghorn in there in couple years if all gos well
I hunt tree stands and stalk
I've shot deer out to 450 yards but I've shot steel farther than that
It will be scoped with leupold lrp
Or vx3i with z lock and sf
I will use for target shooting and predator hunting time to time
And yes I will be reloading for it

my biggest issue with factory rifles is factory barrels. Most are too thin IMO for real target shooting, darn things get too hot too fast which means shorter barrel life.

My answer depends on WHAT you are doing with the rifle.
I build several customs a year, 99% are built on S/S Rem 700's or Win Model 70's.
I build either heavy LR rifles or lightweight mountain type rifle with skinny fluted barrels to keep the weight right down. I also use Kimber actions on occasion and CZ 550 actions.
If weight is a priority, then I would buy a Win Model 70 Featherweight or EW. The Browning is heavier I believe.
If you are looking for LR, then the Sendero II style of Rem 700 makes a very good platform in a HS Precision, Manners or McMillan stock.
Options like bolt fluting, spiral or straight fluted barrels can also be considered.
If building a semi custom, the Rem 700 is a great option.

Cheers.

I second this, if you are wanting something semi custom, it's hard to beat the Bergara. I have heard a lot of guys really liking the Christiansen though if you have a little more budget.
The benefit of the Savage and Remington are the larger supply of aftermarket components.
My opinion of Remington I'll keep to myself ,but I would still recommend the first two on a minimum component swap out build.
Take a look at the HMR-PRO. The Bergerac is kinda hard to beat for the $$$price.

my biggest issue with factory rifles is factory barrels. Most are too thin IMO for real target shooting, darn things get too hot too fast which means shorter barrel life.

Stahhhp shooting them so fast 😉. My extreme weather will shoot two in the same hole, and the third one is always just a fuzz away and then it strings if we are talking about a quick string. Shouldn't need that many for hunting though. But pushing 165's out at 2900+ stuff gets warm. 200's at 2675 is mo betta

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts