"Factory Crimp Die"

.......I've never felt comfortable crimping any bullet that doesn't have a cannelure.............

I haven't used either in years, but the C-H cannelure tool will put one where you want it.

The crimping die was used after seeing a few rounds in .375 magazines beat back in the case.

350 grain round noses weren't something to worry over LRH needs, so I can't say much regarding accuracy details, but it will stop bullet "migration".

The reason I wanted to try it was that it was for a DPMS semi auto-loader gas rifle. I've long suspected/ regarded it as being the worlds most expensive bullet puller.
Even if they only jump a few thousands, if the jump is inconsistent from bullet to bullet the crimp could mitigate that variable.

Bumping this for more info.
I ordered a Factory crimp die for 300 Weatherby, and 6.5 Creedmoor.
I'm going to do some velocity and accuracy test with in the next couple of weeks, I'm wondering if anybody tried it.
I'm hoping maybe it will make my 300 Weatherby less seating depth sensitive...

Keep us posted?

So far I've only used the Lee crimping die in my 223, and the accuracy gain is very clear on paper at 300yds.

FWIW I use the Lee FCD for my 35 Remington reloads and the shaved +/- 3/8" off my 100 yard groups with all my reloads using two different powders at 8 different charge weights.

I will add I use what I consider a medium light crimp.

FWIW I use the Lee FCD for my 35 Remington reloads and the shaved +/- 3/8" off my 100 yard groups with all my reloads using two different powders at 8 different charge weights.

I will add I use what I consider a medium light crimp.
Good info thanks!!

One word of caution though, if you switch types of bullets you need to readjust the die. I had it adjusted for some 62gr Scirroccos with no visible indentation on the bullets; after switching to 55gr NBTs without adjustment, it left a crimp far deeper than any cannelure I have ever seen. The die is definitely capable of over-crimping.

One word of caution though, if you switch types of bullets you need to readjust the die. I had it adjusted for some 62gr Scirroccos with no visible indentation on the bullets; after switching to 55gr NBTs without adjustment, it left a crimp far deeper than any cannelure I have ever seen. The die is definitely capable of over-crimping.

I don't understand how that could happen, solely due to crimping a different bullet. The bullets should all be the same diameter. So unless you crimped casings with thicker case necks, or changed the adjustment of the die, how could this happen. Did you figure out what caused the differing crimp depths?

Did one bullet have a cannelure and the other not?

I don't understand how that could happen, solely due to crimping a different bullet. The bullets should all be the same diameter. So unless you crimped casings with thicker case necks, or changed the adjustment of the die, how could this happen. Did you figure out what caused the differing crimp depths?

Did one bullet have a cannelure and the other not?

Best I could tell is that the Scirrocco is a much tougher bullet using a much thicker jacket and harder lead than the varmint bullet. I know it was harder to run the handle on the press with the Scirroccos, but I didn't take the die out of the press or even touch it between crimping the different bullets. My only other guess would be flex in the press as I was reaching full stroke on the handle with all of the rounds I crimped that day. I have since retired that old aluminum Lee press as I had suspected that the press was indeed flexing. I like my current RCBS Rockchucker Supreme a whole lot more, but haven't tested this on the new press. Either way, a light crimp seems to work better but the die is capable of squishing soft bullets if you don't adjust it right.

The last couple post brings me to a question.
How does the Lee FCD work with the Forrester CO-AX? Probably the same as any other press I assume.

Dunno. I only own and use a RCBS Rockchucker. The crimp is applied on the downstroke of the press handle, with the ram fully extended up. Not familiar with the Forster.

We started using a crimp on ammunition for customers when we were doing a wsm load for a customer. The load was a bit compressed and was causing the bullet to migrate out. The crimp stopped the problem and had no adverse effect on accuracy. We are now doing this more often and results are, so far, all good. Our bullets were designed to have very little contact in the bore. We never really considered the fact that they have very little contact with the case neck. So the crimp is making sense as a regular process. Using regular dies one needs to make sure that the case length is the same on all cases or the crimp will vary.

I think crimping used to be a standard practice that has died out over the years due to the bench rest crowd. I have heard that crimping is making a comeback in the bench rest crowd.

My thinking is crimping will make hand loads more consistent. Particularly with less than perfect chambers and not perfectly uniform neck thickness. At this time I see no down side to it and we are recommending it to our customers.

Steve

We started using a crimp on ammunition for customers when we were doing a wsm load for a customer. The load was a bit compressed and was causing the bullet to migrate out. The crimp stopped the problem and had no adverse effect on accuracy. We are now doing this more often and results are, so far, all good. Our bullets were designed to have very little contact in the bore. We never really considered the fact that they have very little contact with the case neck. So the crimp is making sense as a regular process. Using regular dies one needs to make sure that the case length is the same on all cases or the crimp will vary.

I think crimping used to be a standard practice that has died out over the years due to the bench rest crowd. I have heard that crimping is making a comeback in the bench rest crowd.

My thinking is crimping will make hand loads more consistent. Particularly with less than perfect chambers and not perfectly uniform neck thickness. At this time I see no down side to it and we are recommending it to our customers.

Steve
That's kinda my thoughts as well Steve.
My take is, if it makes the ammo more consistent across the board, then I don't see a down side to crimping.
I know it's a long shot, but my 300 Weatherby shoots really good at 3.7"ish coal, and I'm hoping I can get it to shoot at mag length.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.