Lee factory crimp die issues

Ccctennis

I have a dillon 550b press and have been having such a challenge getting rounds that will drop into my case gauge.

Here are the details:
Loading 9mm. 115 grain plated round nose.
First setup was rcbs 3 die setup. Size/deprime, flare, then seat and taper crimp one step.

First issue half my rounds came out with a small lump due to bullet base denting inside case mouth during seating. Someone suggested lee factory crimp die

Second issue now using LEe fcd. I resize the case it will drop freely into case gauge. Once I run it through the fcd it won't go but half way or two thirds into case gauge. I set the die as instructed and even tried less depth on the die and then more depth on the die. Either way it didn't help. I mic'ed the cases mouths and it is crimping but can't tell if it is bulging the case furthe down or what. With the dillon I initially set die touching the shell plate. Then tried a turn or two further down and finally a turn off the shell plate. No matter how I adjusted the crimp stem not a single round would chamber. I know I'm a rookie to progressive reloading but **** I tried every possible adjustment to no avail???

I have a dillon 550b press and have been having such a challenge getting rounds that will drop into my case gauge.

Here are the details:
First setup was rcbs 3 die setup. Size/deprime, flare, then seat and taper crimp one step.

First issue half my rounds came out with a small lump due to bullet base denting inside case mouth during seating. Someone suggested lee factory crimp die

Second issue now using LEe fcd. I resize the case it will drop freely into case gauge. Once I run it through the fcd it won't go but half way or two thirds into case gauge. I set the die as instructed and even tried less depth on the die and then more depth on the die. Either way it didn't help. I mic'ed the cases mouths and it is crimping but can't tell if it is bulging the case furthe down or what. With the dillon I initially set die touching the shell plate. Then tried a turn or two further down and finally a turn off the shell plate. No matter how I adjusted the crimp stem not a single round would chamber. I know I'm a rookie to progressive reloading but **** I tried every possible adjustment to no avail???

What is the diameter of your bullets? Are you belling the cases enough? Have you actually tried dropping the rounds in your barrel?

Here are the details:

The current Lee Factory Crimp dies also full length size the round at the same time it applies the crimp...all in one motion. If you are not adjusting the die per instructions you may not be getting the benefit of the resize function. When you seat the bullet adjust the die out so it not crimp the case mouth...just seat the bullet. Then use the Lee die to crimp and size. The bump you see at the bullet base will be smoothed out. If you have the funds, you might try the Lee 4 die sets. I use them for 9mm and they are great.

Looking at the FS website, the Lee Carbide factory crimp die is different from the regular crimp die. The specs do not mention the resize function for the plain factory crimp die but the Carbide factory Crimp Die info states it does full length size at the same time it crimps. The dies look different also. You might want to check out the Lee 4 die (carbide) sets.

https://fsreloading.com/reloading-equipment/dies/pistol/

Here is the latest update.

Stage one. Resized. Case mouth mic'ed to .375
Stage two bell mouth to .388
Stage three seat to 1.150 and crimp to .378

I tried the fcd die again and did every possible adjustment to see where I could be making a mistake. No such luck. The bullets are .355.

At least with my rcbs seat/crimp die I can produce acceptable rounds but I still get occasional ones that don't pass inspection. Using the fcd I was getting rounds that would get stuck half way in the gauge like the whole brass case was bulged. The funny part is how the instructions say to set fcd against shell plate but i didn't even get a good round until I was a few turns up off the plate. Still I would like to learn and resolve the issues. Perhaps a new die set with seating and taper crimp seperated?

Here is the latest update.

Stage one. Resized. Case mouth mic'ed to .375
Stage two bell mouth to .388
Stage three seat to 1.150 and crimp to .378

I tried the fcd die again and did every possible adjustment to see where I could be making a mistake. No such luck. The bullets are .355.

At least with my rcbs seat/crimp die I can produce acceptable rounds but I still get occasional ones that don't pass inspection. Using the fcd I was getting rounds that would get stuck half way in the gauge like the whole brass case was bulged. The funny part is how the instructions say to set fcd against shell plate but i didn't even get a good round until I was a few turns up off the plate. Still I would like to learn and resolve the issues. Perhaps a new die set with seating and taper crimp seperated?

Looking at the Lee specs, there are 2 factory crimp dies...one that full length sizes after crimping and one that does not. Is there an adjusting knob on the top of your die? If not, you have one that does not resize. The link here shows the die that does size the finished cartridge.
https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-carbide-factory-crimp-die-9mm-luger-90860.html

Another measurement to check: Case Length: .754". May not be critical to Lee Crimp Dies but it is critical for chambering.

The current Lee Factory Crimp dies also full length size the round at the same time it applies the crimp...all in one motion. If you are not adjusting the die per instructions you may not be getting the benefit of the resize function. When you seat the bullet adjust the die out so it not crimp the case mouth...just seat the bullet. Then use the Lee die to crimp and size. The bump you see at the bullet base will be smoothed out. If you have the funds, you might try the Lee 4 die sets. I use them for 9mm and they are great.

Looking at the FS website, the Lee Carbide factory crimp die is different from the regular crimp die. The specs do not mention the resize function for the plain factory crimp die but the Carbide factory Crimp Die info states it does full length size at the same time it crimps. The dies look different also. You might want to check out the Lee 4 die (carbide) sets.

https://fsreloading.com/reloading-equipment/dies/pistol/

Which Crimp Die do you have?

1)Crimp/No Size 2)Crimp and FL Size

UPDATE: I have read that some Glocks have an area where the base of the case is not surrounded by the chamber and this leaves a bump where the pressure causes a bubble near the base of the case. Some opinions say this is not a problem but i do not believe any stretching of the case metal other that out to the size of the chamber, can be good for the case and may cause a weak case. But, Lee comes to the rescue with its Bulge Buster Die. FWIW here is a link for you to see if this may help. Bulge Busters will go all the way down to the rim. A regular sizing die will not and will leave a wrinkle or bubble.

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-bulge-buster-90487.html

Attachments

• Crimp Only_No Resize.JPG
    Crimp Only_No Resize.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 199
  • Carbide Factory Crimp and Sizing Die.JPG
    Carbide Factory Crimp and Sizing Die.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
I started over and reset all the dies. Anything I do with fcd is just junk. No matter where I set the die adjustment 3/4 of the rounds don't even go more than half way into the case gauge.

Ditched fcd went back to seater/crimp die.
Every brass case pass test after sizing.

Belled to .383-.384
Seated and crimped to 1.10 coal and crimped to .377

1/4 of dummy rounds would not pass gauge test by the slightest amount the case head is not flush with case gauge.

Not a big deal with my guns as those would probably work properly. But I can't guarantee that with other family members. The real challenge is I can't crank out 500 rounds if 125 of them won't psa gauge test.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts