Lee Factory Crimp Die, correct location of crimp

I use a tiny bit of Lee case lube on my case mouth brush, so I'm probably not lubing each case the same because I only apply it once.

I've been wondering about the lube build up inside the case. I'll have to clean it out and see what happens.

Another question: their instructions for using the gasket lock ring says 'finger tight'. I make mine finger tight but I do actually have the ring bottoming out on the quick change bushing. I've been wondering if it matters if it's bottomed out or not. I read somewhere something about the die benefiting from the slight give from the oring because it helps the die self center.
It's funny you say that, because, if anything, their lock ring bugs me a little, so I use Hornady split rings, instead of the O ring nuts. To center the die, I put a case into the holder, run the ram up, into the die, then run the nut into position, and lock it, with upward pressure on the die body. That centers it in the threads, and locks the die into that position. I've done that for so many years, and never had issues. Another thing I do, is put a dot, on the lock ring, and on the press, and always index them together, with my wrench, when I change out dies. Maybe it's a OCD thing, but it works for me, and I feel assured it's where it's supposed to be, everytime! Just my experiences, and opinions!

I use a tiny bit of Lee case lube on my case mouth brush, so I'm probably not lubing each case the same because I only apply it once.

I've been wondering about the lube build up inside the case. I'll have to clean it out and see what happens.

Another question: their instructions for using the gasket lock ring says 'finger tight'. I make mine finger tight but I do actually have the ring bottoming out on the quick change bushing. I've been wondering if it matters if it's bottomed out or not. I read somewhere something about the die benefiting from the slight give from the oring because it helps the die self center.
I use a Q-Tip coated with Lee case lube to evenly apply lube to case mouths

It's funny you say that, because, if anything, their lock ring bugs me a little, so I use Hornady split rings, instead of the O ring nuts. To center the die, I put a case into the holder, run the ram up, into the die, then run the nut into position, and lock it, with upward pressure on the die body. That centers it in the threads, and locks the die into that position. I've done that for so many years, and never had issues. Another thing I do, is put a dot, on the lock ring, and on the press, and always index them together, with my wrench, when I change out dies. Maybe it's a OCD thing, but it works for me, and I feel assured it's where it's supposed to be, everytime! Just my experiences, and opinions!
I use the Lee locking rings and I like them but I take a sharpie and draw a line on the die, ring and press to make sure I repeat every die change

I really liked the idea of them until I noticed that it slips on my sizing die when I remove it from the quick change bushing, which causes me to have to reset it every time. Same problem with my bullet seater.

I have since started using the Hornady lock rings and the spline drive bushing. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012825974 they are seriously awesome.

So with your process of centering your die, do you actually run the case ALL the way up as if your sizing it? I think I'll have to try that.

I use sharpie indexing marks for my seater die, but not the sizing die yet.

I stole these pictures off the internet for reference.

I would say my '06 looks like the middle picture, even if I go all the way to max crimp.

View attachment 181165

my 7mm looks more like one of these
View attachment 181169
Information, even copyrighted, from other sources can be used for educational purposes. Usually the source is noted. The copyright police should NOT be coming for you.

Information, even copyrighted, from other sources can be used for educational purposes. Usually the source is noted. The copyright police should NOT be coming for you.

I'm very familiar with the law. I used to teach high school!!

"Beg, borrow, steal"

Ryan, did a little shootingladt week, shortly after you opened the thread on the crimp die. I used the FCD, on my 7-08, and it performed as designed.
On another note, but related, I have the Ultimate set of Lee dies, in another, but very close caliber, that from start to finish is loaded with, and crimped with the Lee dies.
This rifle more often then not, is a true 1/4 minute shooter. And the best groups, and the most consistent ones are the ones that are lightly crimped with the FCD. It seems crazy, but the A-B tests are undeniable. They just plain work, little or no run out to boot.
Beyond a shadow of a doubt, the best bang for the buck. Finding that magic can over, and crimp, really makes a difference.
Enjoy, and hope all is well in your, and every bodies neck of the woods.

Ryan, did a little shootingladt week, shortly after you opened the thread on the crimp die. I used the FCD, on my 7-08, and it performed as designed.
On another note, but related, I have the Ultimate set of Lee dies, in another, but very close caliber, that from start to finish is loaded with, and crimped with the Lee dies.
This rifle more often then not, is a true 1/4 minute shooter. And the best groups, and the most consistent ones are the ones that are lightly crimped with the FCD. It seems crazy, but the A-B tests are undeniable. They just plain work, little or no run out to boot.
Beyond a shadow of a doubt, the best bang for the buck. Finding that magic can over, and crimp, really makes a difference.
Enjoy, and hope all is well in your, and every bodies neck of the woods.

Thanks!! I hope all is well with you too. I believe my 7mm08 FCD is correct and working correctly, but it sounds like my .30-06 FCD might not be. I think the FCD is a wonderful thing too, and love all the rest of Lee's dies. They do a great job. I'll post all my dialogue with the Lee rep when we figure it out!

Thanks!! I hope all is well with you too. I believe my 7mm08 FCD is correct and working correctly, but it sounds like my .30-06 FCD might not be. I think the FCD is a wonderful thing too, and love all the rest of Lee's dies. They do a great job. I'll post all my dialogue with the Lee rep when we figure it out!
Those people are awesome, and will go way out of their way to help you out!
Years ago, I thought I was having a problem with my neck die. The tech walked me through the process and I was good. Two days later, he called and knew I was going to be shooting the previous weekend, and was just checking to make sure this is worked out. Pretty good in my book.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.