Lee factory crimp die in an RCBS press

GW Hunter

I've decided to try crimping some rounds to see if there any benefits, so I purchased a Lee FCD. How do you set the die up to get the 25lb recommended pressure using the RCBS press? Do you use the cam over or run the die all the way down and not use cam over? I'm stuck in my own head with this one.... Butterbean where are you???

I've decided to try crimping some rounds to see if there any benefits, so I purchased a Lee FCD. How do you set the die up to get the 25lb recommended pressure using the RCBS press? Do you use the cam over or run the die all the way down and not use cam over? I'm stuck in my own head with this one.... Butterbean where are you???
I've recently started using the Lee Factory Crimp Dies for all my rifle cartridges. I start with the recommended 1/2 turn past where the die bottom touches the shell holder. The heavy cartridges I've turned the die 3/4 turn and use the cam over on the RCBS rockchucker. Pretty happy with how the amount of crimp can be fine tuned. I have not yet tested crimped vs non-crimped at the range though.

The RCBS Summit can cam over but the Rock Chucker can't, which one are you using?

If it's the Rock Chucker just follow the instructions. If it's a Summit spin 1/16 forward instead of 1/8 in Step 3e.

Attachments

• FCD Instructions.pdf
    386.8 KB · Views: 150
GW,
Butterbean has a video on U Tube. Don't know about a 25lb requirement?

I've found less is better than more. More can be bad for accuracy and brass.
I think the uniformity of tension can be attained different ways but for me a lee die gets me there for simplicity.
I am by no means on the level some of our fellow shooters here.
If you are just beginning maybe that would help you out.

Set crimp amount by feel - screw die into press to get desired crimp.

Presses have different length handles and different mechanics so what is 25# down force on one might make for the same amount of ram force as 23# applied on a press with a longer handle or other features to exert ram force. Shell holders and brass dimensions may also vary & this would affect the amount of crimping. If you look down into the crimp die upon contacting the crimp die sleeve with shell holder the crimping effect may be seen and felt. Should a crimp into a cannellure be done more force would be required. My thinking is to make for a minumum crimp to hold the bullet securely. Some bullets have very thin jackets, like .204 & .224 varmint bullets, and exessive crimping would affect concentricity, core/jacket contact & bullet balance.

Last edited:
If this is the carbide die it is suppose to bring cartridge to factory specs. Some experimenting is in order.

not so heavy that it deforms the bullet.
Agree, and bullets CAN be deformed pretty easily with the FCD. I use the BB instructions for monos and adjust the amount of the crimp specifically with Hammers and their PDR bands. When it comes to cup and core I tend to use an 1/8th and that's pretty much it.

One time I tried to adjust upwards just to see what I could do with the die - by 1/2 the bullets were deforming and at 3/4 the bullet was so distorted it wouldn't drop into a seater anymore. Would be a very bad deal for chamber pressure.

I've been using the Lee crimp die for years on all my rifle reloads. I don't know how to get 25lbs of tension. I just have mine set so I can see a small uniform crimp. You will see a line of shiny brass. Just don't over do it.

Recent Posts