F.y.i. us army orders $50 million barrett mrads in 300 prc

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Litehiker, Mar 13, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

Or just let him shoot a REAL precision rifle, and show him that his investment could be sold or traded for something better without the tacticool name.

the hunter likes this.
  2. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

Man I hope your right, this is what I’ve been told. However, like the internet, word off mouth can go astray. We’ll just keep burning the barrels out of our .300 WinMags until they’re gone.

SMK1000plus and the hunter like this.
  3. Darktimber

Darktimber Well-Known Member

Also for anybody who cares this contract was for SOCOM, not big army. They have a lot more freedom to pick what hey want and they did not get their new sniper rifle in any 6.5 cartridge:D

Big army just got the 300win and new/ungraded rem700 packages to fire it. Anythings possible but id think you have a better chance of seeing god then having the army get rid of 300win so quick

4. L.Sherm

L.Sherm Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

My question is does Hornady have a FMJ 225 gr bullet for the P.R.C. with a good B.C if I'm not mistaken doesnt the military use FMJ bullets.

5. cohunt

cohunt Well-Known Member

With how much the government pays for firearms through their contracts (firearms, optics, suppressors, etc) what will this amount to 1500-2000 rifles at best? $50m wont buy you much when the government is buying -- I wish our boys in the field could choose their own firearms, we might actually learn something from that.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  6. MudRunner2005

With SOCOM the rules can be fudged a bit, since they're running very specialized missions needing specialized equipment... ;)

7. L.Sherm

My marine sniper nephew told me his ammo was quote "FMJ chiiiit"

8. MudRunner2005

That would be MARSOC, not SOCOM. I'm sure standard sniper ammo is FMJ's.

9. L.Sherm

I'm all for giving our boys the best, but not desk jockeys making the decision just because it's the next best sliced bread.

SMK1000plus and MudRunner2005 like this.
  10. L.Sherm

Isnt the Geneva convention rule only FMJ bullets?

11. cohunt

cohunt Well-Known Member

Would hornady make anything off this ?? No one said hornady got a contract, just barret-- isnt the 300prc a saami/open market cartridge? Wouldn't federal be contracted to make the ammo?

12. MudRunner2005

No, it's not the Geneva Convention. They just specify rules of engagement. The Geneva convention does not actually specify weapons restrictions. This is a common misconception. It is in fact the Hague Accords that ban specific weaponry, in “Laws and Customs of War on Land” (Hague Convention IV).

I'm sure it only matters when the mission is "sanctioned"... If everything is blackout (redacted) or off-record, then it won't matter what they were using because nobody else will ever know. ;)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    J E Custom likes this.
  13. MudRunner2005

Nobody else makes ammo for a proprietary cartridge like the .300 PRC... Nobody else makes brass. They're getting paid somewhere down the line...Even if they just allow Lake City to tool up for it.

14. cohunt

cohunt Well-Known Member

No-- Hague says " no expanding bullets" but does not specifically say "fmj"