F.y.i. us army orders $50 million barrett mrads in 300 prc

I guess all your simulation kills have been under 100 yards. More like 10 feet, the proximity to your tv.:D
I seriously can't believe you actually compared the two.

Right, knew I was going down the rabbit hole in this thread.

Long story short:

Target shooting and long range hunting is not military action.

I simply tried to make some of the exhaustive studies done by military / defense industry easy to verify for yourself. Simulations are not perfect, but you can gain a tremendous amount of data.

My brother flew A10, my daughter works for Lockheed Martin.

The weakest link has not been technology per see for many many years.
The weak point is operator overload, too much information and too much multi-tasking.

How does this relate to the topic?

The caliber of the bullet, the design of the BC, everything discussed here as being paramount....is really fairly low on the list.

Like everyone here, I enjoy stats and technology/ballistics as a hobby.
However, I also follow history.

Prior to WWI, military planners thought the 30 06 would be a 400-600 yard weapon.
Sights and drills were designed for sending long range fire.

We all know that this happened now and again,but 100 years of study showed that the long range expectations (for rifleman) has simply been the very rare exception and not the rule.

I think they fell in love with Hornady and their marketing hype when they were evaluating the creedmoor, and just jumped into the 300 PRC. According to Hornady the 6.5 was comparable to the 300wm right? Lol. Maybe they are making a claim that the 300prc is comparable to the 338 LM or the 50 BMG!!!! Haha.

I think they fell in love with Hornady and their marketing hype when they were evaluating the creedmoor, and just jumped into the 300 PRC. According to Hornady the 6.5 was comparable to the 300wm right? Lol. Maybe they are making a claim that the 300prc is comparable to the 338 LM or the 50 BMG!!!! Haha.
Sadly, it wouldn't even be surprising if they were trying to spin and sell it that way...

I think they did a solid on choosing the MRAD. I have a 98B in 338 which is basically same platform except non folder and does not have quick swap barrel system and it is probably one if not the most consistent factory rifle I have owned in big cal. I guess our boys and girls banging on the long guns deployed will supply us with real world feedback on the 300 PRC and we shall see if the hornady hype is real! Unfortunaltly that is the worst environment to be in if failure happens.

Were their previous contracts for the 300wm and ammo with somebody other than the US?
Nope... Remington and Federal/Lake City were the only ones I'm aware of. There could have been others, but I doubt anything foreign in nature.

In other calibers/cartridges, they also use McMillan TAC-50 rifles, as well, and have used Cheytac M200 Interventions as well. Also American companies.

My only problem with cartridges like is the body taper per inch.

I love the shape of the design for accuracy and efficiency and subscribe to this type of case for my wildcats. PO Ackley recommends that you do not go with less body taper per inch than .007 thousandths for dependable extraction. This is not unusable in a precision bolt action rifle with prudent loading (Not over pressure loads)and fired cases can be extracted.

In a defense weapon more body taper is recommended/needed for dependable feeding and extraction under severe conditions. the 308 win has .012 thousandths per inch of body taper and the 338 Lapua has more than double that, Making both of them very dependable.

If I were to chose or build a rifle for long range hunting, i would chose a cartridge with these design features. If it was to be used in the Apocalypse It would be a totally different design with the features of something like the 338 Lapua. (Lots of body taper a lower shoulder angle and lots of freebore.

In my opinion, it is a good choice for performance, but a poor choice for use it the military for all the reasons I listed.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Nope... Remington and Federal/Lake City were the only ones I'm aware of. There could have been others, but I doubt anything foreign in nature.

In other calibers/cartridges, they also use McMillan TAC-50 rifles, as well, and have used Cheytac M200 Interventions as well. Also American companies.

That is what I thought.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.