F.y.i. us army orders $50 million barrett mrads in 300 prc

Here is what Hornady has to say about their 300 PRC.
they have a good sales pitch for the hunter but failed to mention how it would work in poor conditions and with NATO approved bullets Not match or hunting bullets.

Just though it was typical of a manufacture to come up with the "Best"
to impress the masses. After seeing this VIDEO everyone will rush out and buy one thinking it will be the golden cartridge that will automatically assure sub 1/2 moa accuracy.

J E CUSTOM

Here is what Hornady has to say about their 300 PRC.
they have a good sales pitch for the hunter but failed to mention how it would work in poor conditions and with NATO approved bullets Not match or hunting bullets.

Just though it was typical of a manufacture to come up with the "Best"
to impress the masses. After seeing this VIDEO everyone will rush out and buy one thinking it will be the golden cartridge that will automatically assure sub 1/2 moa accuracy.

J E CUSTOM

Great points. Poor conditions and approved bullets definitely question mark.

I like the cartridge. I just think it's funny how much hype is applied. The 30-375 has been around awhile and nothing wrong with more offerings I suppose but treating this as the second coming of Christ gets old. Should be close to the 30 nosler I would think. But it is far from the "best" imo

Other 30's will still outrun it for sure

I wonder what projectile the newer round will be loaded with? Has been Sierra for decades. An ELD-M in a heavy flavor would be great (since it's a "match" bullet & Hornady's design) or a 215 Berger "target"...even better!
Maybe something entirely new. I wouldn't doubt it if they came out with a new so called "green" bullet, like our EPR (aka A1). Maybe a Hornady GMX on steroids. Oh good grief I hope not, they have a special way of screwing things up. You never know with these jokers.

-> IMHO the Barrett MRAD is about the best bolt gun to meet the "change-barrel, change-cartridge" specs of the US SOCOM and US Army for their Precision Rifle solicitation. My friend has an MRAD in .338 LM and it is very easy to disassemble, clean, etc.
*The trigger is dead easy to remove and clean. Often the trigger is the first part to have problems. As far as I know the British Accuracy International rifles are the only other sniper rifles to have an easy to remove trigger assembly without removing the barreled action from the chassis.

-> I'm very surprised the Army went for a cartridge as new as the Hornady 300 PRC for the MRAD.
You'd a-thunk they would have wanted more testing on that relatively new cartridge. Evidently Hornady did a great sales job.

The previous US .30 caliber rifle/cartridge sniper rifle was the XM2010 Remington actioned W/Cadex chassis in .300 Winchester Magnum.

So now there are going to be two .30 caliber sniper rifles and two .30 caliber cartridges in the inventory. Perhaps the best way to handle this possible logistics nightmare is to put the XM2010 rifles in the East Asian/Pacific theaters and the new MRAD/300 PRC rifles in the European/Middle East theaters. Jus'sayin'...

Eric B.

So where did you read this? I read 2 articles about it and they both said 300 norma mag 308win and 338lm. Not being rude thats just what i saw

Yep just went back and looked. 300 norma mag for this $50m contract.

The DOD recently ordered some of these rifles in 300prc though

Owned a Barrett 50 and sold it. Too frigging heavy.
What always facinated me was how a gun they advertised to be 2 MOA was hitting people 15" wide at 1500 yards.

I had one. 2 moa was on a very good day when the Gods smiled. 3 MOA more realistic. So I sold it and bought a Barret single shot. Figure a monkey could build a single shot to shoot. Sold that. Barret should hire some monkeys. Great marketing. Great lobying. Great Hard Target Interdiction gun. A surgical weapon. Not. I regularly shoot against a guy with a MRad. He's got all the barrels. My Surgeon dings the 8" and 4" steel at 1000. I have yet to see him hit one. There are a bunch of guys who buy that STUFF cause its cool. Have never seen one at a preecision or a F class type shoot. Know why?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.