F.y.i. us army orders $50 million barrett mrads in 300 prc

Nobody else makes ammo for a proprietary cartridge like the .300 PRC... Nobody else makes brass. They're getting paid somewhere down the line...Even if they just allow Lake City to tool up for it.
I thought it was saami...thus opening it up for open market, not proprietary

Just because no one else makes 300prc ammo now doesnt mean they wont soon, I thought federal had the contracts for all small arms ammo (I could be wrong)

No, we do not use FMJ bullets in our Sniper ammo. Except the M107, pretty much just .50 BMG ammo without the link. Our 7.62x51 and 7.62x67 ammo is loaded with Sierra Matchkings.
The Rangers that just graduated from our last class were asking me what I thought about the 6.5 Creedmoor their SASS will be chambered in soon and the .338 Lapua they have in their arsenal.

I thought it was saami...thus opening it up for open market, not proprietary

Just because no one else makes 300prc ammo now doesnt mean they wont soon, I thought federal had the contracts for all small arms ammo (I could be wrong)
That just means it's dimensions have been standardized, and the cases have been pressure tested for a baseline max. That doesn't mean it can't still be proprietary to Hornady.

Federal/Lake City makes everything from 5.56x45 up to .50 BMG ammo... Maybe even bigger on the artillery scale?

No, we do not use FMJ bullets in our Sniper ammo. Except the M107, pretty much just .50 BMG ammo without the link. Our 7.62x51 and 7.62x67 ammo is loaded with Sierra Matchkings.
The Rangers that just graduated from our last class were asking me what I thought about the 6.5 Creedmoor their SASS will be chambered in soon and the .338 Lapua they have in their arsenal.
I thought y'all were still running FMJ's in the 7.62x51... Learn something new everyday. I know the .300WM ammo uses a 220 SMK.

Exactly, I personally think that if they were going to make a shift that made sense for a more positive outcome, they should drop down to something that's going to be faster and buck the wind better for producing better first-round hit percentages, like a .28 Nosler with a 180-195gr hybrid style bullet with a higher BC than the 190 and 220 .30 caliber bullets that are moving slower in the .300WM.
You mean like a 30 Nosler pushing a 215-230 Berger Hybrid style bullet?
;)

That just means it's dimensions have been standardized, and the cases have been pressure tested for a baseline max. That doesn't mean it can't still be proprietary to Hornady.

Federal/Lake City makes everything from 5.56x45 up to .50 BMG ammo... Maybe even bigger on the artillery scale?
I know a guy that was trying to get his wildcat through saami, he told me that once it gets accepted and certified as saami then it is automatically open source for anyone to produce and no longer proprietary( referring to both the chamber and cartridge dimensions and specs-- only thing that might be proprietary would be the actual projectile)

I know a guy that was trying to get his wildcat through saami, he told me that once it gets accepted and certified as saami then it is automatically open source for anyone to produce and no longer proprietary
I've heard both, but have no idea. Best to contact SAAMI for a guaranteed answer. I figured you can get it standardized, but still hold the specs as a patent that is proprietary? I could be wrong.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.