Extreme accuracy: Bore to capacity relationship?

Doesn't mean 1000 other shooters won't have issues with it. One other thought is that a lot of extremely overbore stuff is built on higher quality platforms. This alone skews the results.

All my Wbys have been easy to load for. Heavy for caliber bullet, slow powder, and coal 20 thou shorter than the magazine. gun)

I was chatting with another member about this the other night and figured I'd throw this out there in hopes someone may be able to provide some kind of intelligent explanation for this phenomenon.

Somehow the 28 Nosler is easily capable of extreme accuracy with little to no load work up while it's sister cartridge, the 26 Nosler, does not suffer the same benefits.

Does anyone know why/how this happens? I'm wondering if there's some formula available to quantify how accurate a cartridge design is going to be prior to actually sending rounds down range.
Why is the 28 so much more superior to the other calibers within this family? Is it just luck or is there a scientific explanation we can utilize for new rounds?

Curious what you are basing this off of? Do you have personal experience with the 26 nosler not being accurate or are you just asking in general or based off of forum chatter? Just wondering as I know at least a few that are very accurate.

Not saying your wrong, just wondering where you are coming from.

Scot E.

Curious what you are basing this off of? Do you have personal experience with the 26 nosler not being accurate or are you just asking in general or based off of forum chatter? Just wondering as I know at least a few that are very accurate.

Not saying your wrong, just wondering where you are coming from.

Scot E.

I have not owned a 28 but don't know anyone who owns one that's not shooting incredible groups with little to no load work up. I owned a 26 for a bit and could never figure out a load that would go under .90" at 100 yards with 3 rounds.

I have had two 26's. Both were picky to load for, I have used up one barrel on my fierce just playing with different bullets and loads. Out of everything I have tried two bullets stand out as giving good consistent accuracy. There are calibers that are inherently easier to load for, my 325wsm (hs precision rifle) will put almost any combination into an inch, where the 26 will be a 2 moa gun with just a tossed together load, but still give groups under 1/2 moa with tuned loads.

I had four Weatherbys. Three were fantastically accurate. One would only do 1 1/8" at 100 yards.

I had an Accumark that never shot under 1", and most of the time was closer to the 1.5" guarantee they used to have back then. Of course back when I bought it, I was a decent shot, but nowhere near the disciplined shooter I am today, so I used to think it shot good... Sometimes we look back and are embarrassed by the things we thought were good in our naivety.

Then I got other rifles, started reloading, and my shooting skills improved thanks to improved accuracy from handloading. One day I went to shoot the Wby and it was all over the place. The barrel had started caving in, which I did not realize at the time, because of the very low round-count. Then it quickly went from a 1"-1.5" gun, to a 2"-2.5" gun at 100. After lots of money trying different bullets and powders and many bottles of Aleve (headaches) later...I said enough was enough. Finally found a new smith (old one retired, and there was a gap for a while between smiths). Took it to the new smith, got it scoped, bore was FUBAR and caving in. Defective blank, and bad barrel from the factory. Nobody (Weatherby or Criterion) did anything to help, so I traded the rifle off and lost my *** on it. Lesson learned, don't waste your money on a Weatherby...But if you want one, buy a used MK-V for about $500. That way, if the barrel is junk you can rebarrel and not have wasted the cash worth about 2 mortgage payments if you had bought a new one.

I had an Accumark that never shot under 1", and most of the time was closer to the 1.5" guarantee they used to have back then. Of course back when I bought it, I was a decent shot, but nowhere near the disciplined shooter I am today, so I used to think it shot good... Sometimes we look back and are embarrassed by the things we thought were good in our naivety.

Then I got other rifles, started reloading, and my shooting skills improved thanks to improved accuracy from handloading. One day I went to shoot the Wby and it was all over the place. The barrel had started caving in, which I did not realize at the time, because of the very low round-count. Then it quickly went from a 1"-1.5" gun, to a 2"-2.5" gun at 100. After lots of money trying different bullets and powders and many bottles of Aleve (headaches) later...I said enough was enough. Finally found a new smith (old one retired, and there was a gap for a while between smiths). Took it to the new smith, got it scoped, bore was FUBAR and caving in. Defective blank, and bad barrel from the factory. Nobody (Weatherby or Criterion) did anything to help, so I traded the rifle off and lost my *** on it. Lesson learned, don't waste your money on a Weatherby...But if you want one, buy a used MK-V for about $500. That way, if the barrel is junk you can rebarrel and not have wasted the cash worth about 2 mortgage payments if you had bought a new one.

We have all heard this a million times from you now .....

MudRunner2005,

The next time you find a Weatherby Mark V for $500 send me a private message.

The three Weatherbys I had that shot well were a 7 Wea Mag on a bad day was five in an inch on a good day it was fine in 1/2". The .340 was regularly under an inch and lots of time 3/4". The other was a .247. It would do ten shots under an inch. The other .340, the "bad" one did 1" when my son-in-law fired it. I never got better than 1 1/8" with that one.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.