Contour to grouping relationship

jtmoose

Is there a rule of thumb for the number of shots any given barrel contour maintains accuracy?

Example:
#1 = 1-2 shots
#2 = 3-4 shots
#3 = 5-7 shots
#4 = 8-15 shots
Etc.

There really isn't a good rule of thumb, because each cartridge is different. A rule of thumb for a .223 in a #1 contour is completely different from a 300 RUM in a #1 contour.

I'm new at this but here's what I've experienced and what I was told.

I know when shooting a Rem 700 300 Win Mag with the factory sporter contour barrel that it got pretty hot after two shots and after three shots it needed to be cooled down or bullets went everywhere.

This was shooting 180 gr Accubonds with RL22 at 3100+ fps.

Hopefully the new Bartlein #3 bbl will be a bit different but I was told 3 shots then cool the barrel by Bartlein.

I'm new at this but here's what I've experienced and what I was told.

I know when shooting a Rem 700 300 Win Mag with the factory sporter contour barrel that it got pretty hot after two shots and after three shots it needed to be cooled down or bullets went everywhere.

This was shooting 180 gr Accubonds with RL22 at 3100+ fps.

Hopefully the new Bartlein #3 bbl will be a bit different but I was told 3 shots then cool the barrel by Bartlein.

I think you have found the answer! The rule, no matter the barrel, is keep the temp down which means the lighter the barrel, the more you wait:D

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.