Extreme accuracy: Bore to capacity relationship?

MudRunner2005,

The next time you find a Weatherby Mark V for $500 send me a private message.

The three Weatherbys I had that shot well were a 7 Wea Mag on a bad day was five in an inch on a good day it was fine in 1/2". The .340 was regularly under an inch and lots of time 3/4". The other was a .247. It would do ten shots under an inch. The other .340, the "bad" one did 1" when my son-in-law fired it. I never got better than 1 1/8" with that one.

Ok, but I only buy locally, so you'd have a long drive. Small locally-owned gun stores is where I buy my guns. Go look at your local pawn shops...You'd be surprised what kind of deals you'll run into on occasion.

MudRunner2005,

The local stores are too aware of gun values. I did score a Savage .270 Win with a 3-9X40, a sling, a hard case and a box of ammo for $200 the other day. The guy wanted to buy a .357 magnum rifle.:) He's happy and I am delighted.

Now is a great time to shop for rifles, the trade in racks are loaded with great rifles and if your willing to take the brass chances there are lots of super deals on the odd balls, anything that's hard to find brass for is dirt cheap right now, you can bargain lots off the price with the mention of the brass problem..not a good time for trade ins, you'll take a beating.?

I think one thing that is being overlooked is loading to equal pressures. There is a tendency for many of us, myself included, to try to push the limit to get max velocity. When we do this, of course pressures go up, and most of the time, accuracy goes down. Even the known accurate benchrest cartridges do not perform there best at max velocity most of the time. I do believe that there is less chance of having a super accurate 300 RUM vs a 308 W, but the problems are multiplied because of the "need for speed"............Rich

I think one thing that is being overlooked is loading to equal pressures. There is a tendency for many of us, myself included, to try to push the limit to get max velocity. When we do this, of course pressures go up, and most of the time, accuracy goes down. Even the known accurate benchrest cartridges do not perform there best at max velocity most of the time. I do believe that there is less chance of having a super accurate 300 RUM vs a 308 W, but the problems are multiplied because of the "need for speed"............Rich

I think you need to check with some benchrest shooters. The ones I have talked with found their best accuracy at maximum velocity for their case.

I think you need to check with some benchrest shooters. The ones I have talked with found their best accuracy at maximum velocity for their case.

I hadn't heard that one. Maybe they consider max velocity at lower pressure than the rest of us?
I know there cases last a long time!

This is true pressure-wise. The function in it is to go well into diminished returns.
Diminished returns equals diminished affects.
So BR adopts relatively underbore cartridges(for cal), where higher pressures are viable.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.