Bore Capacity versus Barrel Life

There's some names I haven't heard in a while! I had a 6.5-06 1,000 yard gun that I bought from Martin when he retired. It was built by Elmer, who did a lot of his guns. Somewhere, I still have at least two Redfield International sights that were worked over by Bill Stratmann.

Glad I stopped by, it's been a while.

Kevin, what's Lapua's test barrel lives with cartridges testing their stuff? Accuracy standard, too, if it's not a secret.

Thanks.

Depended on the caliber, of course, but the accuracy standard was generally 1.250" for ten rounds at 200 yds. That varied, of course, on the customer's request when it came to OEM orders. Some specified fewer rounds at shorter distances, some more rounds at longer. Lake City, for example was ten 10-rd groups at 300 Meters.

As far as the bore life, that again depended on the caliber and what bullets were being tested. For 168s-175s shot out of a 1x12" 308 Win, they normally went out at around 3,000-3,500 rounds. Heavier bullets, a bit less. Lighter bullets, like the 150s would often go 3,500-4,000 rounds. In 223s with 52-53 grain bullets 5-6,000 rounds wasn't unusual. With the same cartridge running 77s and 80s, that'd drop down to around 3,500 or so. Broad question, with a lot of the answers depending specifically on the bullets being tested.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.