Experience with short barreled short action 7MMs?

I have all the parts for an 18" barreled 7mm deer rifle, n am debating between a SAUM, SS or 7-6.5PRC. I have the Hawkins DBM, so can load a little longer than SAAMI. Planning on shooting 140-150gr monos with a Dominus. Range won't be more than 500-600 yards. I'd love hear personal experience and thoughts, pros and cons , on any of these. Most of the information I've read are with the heavies. I use long actions and longer barrels for those.

Getting my 7SS back from Stratton custom rifles next week. It has a 20 inch barrel on an anti-X SA . I plan to shoot the 160 to 170 grain bullets with N555/N565. Will post velocities and accuracy in a few weeks.

Still own almost all rifle calibers and 7mm is maybe my favorite.

My experience with 7mm's is barrel length really matters. Have the magnums but I currently deer hunt with a 280AI or 284W, 25" or longer barrels. If you drop below a 22" the 7-08 will equal the larger cartridges performance, if you load to first shot/cold barrel consistency, which is deer hunting important. 7-08 performs decent at 21", but not nearly as well as a 308W when both are 18".

Good luck and enjoy your new deer rifle.

I have a great 7SS, although mine is a 24". Shooting suppressed with a Dominus also.
Defiance AnTi X SA
24" 1:8.4" Proof Sendero CF

Main load is a 184 Hyb @ 2865fps over N565.
But I have a nasty 160 TMK load at 2960fps over RL23.

Maybe ask around off the internet about real world velocities on an 18" barreled 7SS with a 140gr. Never owned a SS but looking at powder capacity etc, guessing 2800 fps top with best accuracy lower. 18" barrels make more noise than fps.

Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for. Sounds like I should be in 3000fps range with a 140 gr.
I'm a happy 7ss owner, I'm betting you will end up the same.
I've used 140's Nosler's at 3240 in a 26" 1-8" twist
with no pressure and slow poke H4831.
Probably 20-25fps loss per inch of barrel I'm guessing.
At 30 per inch you'd be at 3000mv.
And if it's 2900 in the end you seem good there.

Last edited:
I have a 7 SS, 20 inches barrel, you can push it hot but I couldn't get over 2750 with 175s Bergers, and N565. Now, that's my barrel, some people get smoking velocities, I never could but never really bothered me because it shoots so good.

George created the Gladius rifle with short barrels for the .308 Win. cartridge and proved it out to 1,000 yards with Frank Galli from Snipers Hide.

Then he worked on the 6.5 GAP 4S cartridge which is the 7mm RSAUM necked down for the 6.5mm bullets, a competition cartridge for the then blossoming PRS competitions.

Prior to Hornady releasing the 6.5 GAP 4S brass, we used horrific amounts of 7mm RSAUM brass until it ran out. I pulled some aside to use for a quick build for a short barreled 7mm RSAUM.

Using a 20" barrel for suppressor work, the 7SAUM currently loaded with the Badlands .284, 140 Bulldozer-2, achieves upper 3,000 FPS and higher but I won't post the load. Magazine fed, of course! ADG brass, Norma and Nosler all produce cases. I use ADG now but used a ton of Remington brass originally.

Enjoy!

:)

George created the Gladius rifle with short barrels for the .308 Win. cartridge and proved it out to 1,000 yards with Frank Galli from Snipers Hide.

Then he worked on the 6.5 GAP 4S cartridge which is the 7mm RSAUM necked down for the 6.5mm bullets, a competition cartridge for the then blossoming PRS competitions.

Prior to Hornady releasing the 6.5 GAP 4S brass, we used horrific amounts of 7mm RSAUM brass until it ran out. I pulled some aside to use for a quick build for a short barreled 7mm RSAUM.

Using a 20" barrel for suppressor work, the 7SAUM currently loaded with the Badlands .284, 140 Bulldozer-2, achieves upper 3,000 FPS and higher but I won't post the load. Magazine fed, of course! ADG brass, Norma and Nosler all produce cases. I use ADG now but used a ton of Remington brass originally.

Enjoy!

:)

Thank you! Exactly what I was hoping for, real world numbers and speeds I'm wanting.