Long action short barreled 7 saum

Ksduckhntr

I've read plenty of threads about short barreled 7 saum and how it works and works better than expected. I've also read threads about how the 7 saum and 175 class bullets shines in actions larger than the standard short action. I already have a short barrel, but my question is: do you gain enough performance in this caliber by going long action (not medium) over the short action in 175 gr bullets? If it's a short action a what's bdl style box will be used loaded to 2.99 vs a standard long action. With the added possibility of longer COAL would I see 25-50fps increase or is it less than that? Just pondering before I place an order for the action.

With a LA:

1. Gain more than +50 fps with correct free bore 0.200"
2. Works with bdl, m5 bottoms, etc
3. Able to use action for longer larger magnums. All my LA's and ultra mag cuts
4. Your weight gain is minimal with 2-5 oz's max.
5. So why in the world anyone would use a SA or even XM+ is beyond me.

With a LA:

1. Gain more than +50 fps with correct free bore 0.200"
2. Works with bdl, m5 bottoms, etc
3. Able to use action for longer larger magnums. All my LA's and ultra mag cuts
4. Your weight gain is minimal with 2-5 oz's max.
5. So why in the world anyone would use a SA or even XM+ is beyond me.
You know I did. Why? Good point. Hard headed. Lol.

will a SAUM based cartridge feed smoothly with an LA?
Hawkins Mag?
Its sweet in XM plus/6.5 Max. never tried longer IMG_7277.jpeg

Last edited:
It'll be a titanium action so the weight is negligible. If I gained roughly 50fps (which in the grand scheme isn't a ton) I could live with the added length. It's a little counter intuitive to go long action short barrel but I think it's just what I want. Plus it's versatile down the road.

Yes, the short barrel will affect your velocity more than the long action. Only advantage to a long action is to shoot heavier than 175 gr. I doubt you will see meaningful gains from action length in bullets lighter than 175.

If you have long action you would be better served to do 7 PRC