Experience level qualifications for Absolute Hammers?

TBuckus

I didn't want to highjack the AH thread to ask this question.

Hammers website says that only experienced reloaders that are competent at reading pressure signs should reload the absolutes. I currently reload HH's in two of my rifles.
I've always been a cautious reloader for over 10 years and dont consider myself in the same category as most in this community, but I don't consider myself a beginner.
I'm familiar with and have experienced flat primers and stiff bolt lift. I'm also aware of cratered primers and ejection marks.

I know this is a loaded question, but if I know what to look for, I would predict I can safely reload the Absolutes, unless these are in a category all by themselves.

You will be fine... There are several on here that are posting good data to start with and it would be wise to listen to their experiences with the Absolutes. They definitely will take a faster powder than what you are probably used to. I don't push to max velocities, so I stayed with the HH's since I had an accurate load...

I didn't want to highjack the AH thread to ask this question.

Hammers website says that only experienced reloaders that are competent at reading pressure signs should reload the absolutes. I currently reload HH's in two of my rifles.
I've always been a cautious reloader for over 10 years and dont consider myself in the same category as most in this community, but I don't consider myself a beginner.
I'm familiar with and have experienced flat primers and stiff bolt lift. I'm also aware of cratered primers and ejection marks.

I know this is a loaded question, but if I know what to look for, I would predict I can safely reload the Absolutes, unless these are in a category all by themselves.
You will need a unconventional mindset but I'll help you out if you wanna give them a try

They are not magic.
If you are a reasonably experienced handloader and have been loading for several years/several different cartridges, you will probably be fine. Especially if you've ever fooled with wildcats.
The potential problems are two-fold:
1) There is no pressure tested factory data to guide you. You have to understand burn rates and powders.
2) by design, Absolutes run with far less pressure than similar weight bullets. Herein lies the rub. You have to use much faster powders than you're used to to get max speed. Absolutes also cannot be measured like customary bullets because the ogive never touches the barrel! There is no "jump" in the traditional sense.
That's the reason for the data sheet on post #2 of the Absolute Hammer Load Data thread. Members are developing data to help others.
You have to make educated guesses and watch your brass for telltale signs of what the pressure is doing.
Look through the data sheets on post #2. If you are comfortable with what you read - go for it. Just share your data, please.

All good advice so far.

I haven't tried them yet, but I'd say our reloading experiences are similar. I've seen your posts for quite awhile, and have confidence you'll be fine.

They are not magic.
If you are a reasonably experienced handloader and have been loading for several years/several different cartridges, you will probably be fine. Especially if you've ever fooled with wildcats.
The potential problems are two-fold:
1) There is no pressure tested factory data to guide you. You have to understand burn rates and powders.
2) by design, Absolutes run with far less pressure than similar weight bullets. Herein lies the rub. You have to use much faster powders than you're used to to get max speed. Absolutes also cannot be measured like customary bullets because the ogive never touches the barrel! There is no "jump" in the traditional sense.
That's the reason for the data sheet on post #2 of the Absolute Hammer Load Data thread. Members are developing data to help others.
You have to make educated guesses and watch your brass for telltale signs of what the pressure is doing.
Look through the data sheets on post #2. If you are comfortable with what you read - go for it. Just share your data, please.
I've been reading up on that thread.
I didn't have any issues with my 7mmWSM with the HH's. As easy as reloading Bergers.

My 6.5-06 is next on my list. Saw some AI loads on there to give me a somewhat starting point or max depending on how you look at it.

I've been reading up on that thread.
I didn't have any issues with my 7mmWSM with the HH's. As easy as reloading Bergers.

My 6.5-06 is next on my list. Saw some AI loads on there to give me a somewhat starting point or max depending on how you look at it.
I'm shooting the 116 AH's out of the 270AI and I'm using the MAX Book load for a .277 90gr pill if that gives you a general mindset of where you will need to be

The biggest thing I've found loading the AH is that pressure signs can occur with very small changes in charge weight. I've had loads go from zero pressure signs to blown primers in as little as .3 grains.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.