Exercise for arthritic knees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
An elliptical machine will tone/build muscle and works well for cardio without impact. I can't use the shellfish based joint supplements as they bring on chronic gout attacks. Until the point that they want to inject hydrocortisone into the joints or cut on me, in anticipation of high activity levels I take an 800 mg Motrin. After hunting, once back at camp, 2 fingers of single malt do nothing for my joints, but I feel better. Good luck, enjoy the hunt.

i've recently found a great exercise for knees, and your leg muscles in general. walk backwards. i like to go up an incline with some weight in my backpack but just walking backwards on a level surface is a great exercise. you will be amazed at how much it works the muscles!

I was fortunate enough to build a pool with a hot tub last year. They have both been a godsend.. if you have access. 14 year old thread. Might not be a record, but can't be far off

Having my left knee replaced April 18,did the right one 3 years ago and it was a good decision.Had to wait till I was done coyote hunting to get this one done.

How's the knee coming along Terry? I'm having my left one done on 6/22. Did my right about 4 years back, so glad I did!

dogz where are you getting the surgery?
I sure wish you the best.
Terry Lightle I wish the best for you as well.
I was told several years ago I needed both knee's done but I chickened out.

A bit of advice....if you ever decide to actually get the surgery, get a program going at least three months ahead of surgery to strengthen your legs. Even though I workout three days a week I did a pre-hab and my recovery has been amazing. I'm nine weeks post-op on my left knee and took my two labs on a three-mile walk yesterday.

My left knee has always give me problems. Also broke my right ankle 2yrs ago. Then this past January found out I had a light stroke. Thought my ankle was why I was walking funny. Long story short, iv been walking on my elliptical every day. Getting better 👍 Then in April my wife wanted an above ground pool. (I buy guns she buys a pool 😃) It's 4 foot deep and 20 ft in diameter. Lately iv been trying to run the edges for about 30 to 45 min. Stopping and treading water with my feet up. No more knee pain and even building strength and my balance. I think this I helping more than anything. If you have access to a pool, might want to give it a try. Working for me anyways.

A bit of advice....if you ever decide to actually get the surgery, get a program going at least three months ahead of surgery to strengthen your legs. Even though I workout three days a week I did a pre-hab and my recovery has been amazing. I'm nine weeks post-op on my left knee and took my two labs on a three-mile walk yesterday.
Right on... Went on pre-hab before each were replaced one year apart. Rehab and recovery went very well.

May 2018 had the right knee done, 3-1/2 weeks later had to fly out for father-in-law's funeral. Even rented a car drove the whole time we were there.

Pre-hab works, well worth the effort.

My left knee has always give me problems. Also broke my right ankle 2yrs ago. Then this past January found out I had a light stroke. Thought my ankle was why I was walking funny. Long story short, iv been walking on my elliptical every day. Getting better 👍 Then in April my wife wanted an above ground pool. (I buy guns she buys a pool 😃) It's 4 foot deep and 20 ft in diameter. Lately iv been trying to run the edges for about 30 to 45 min. Stopping and treading water with my feet up. No more knee pain and even building strength and my balance. I think this I helping more than anything. If you have access to a pool, might want to give it a try. Working for me anyways.

Flippers help build leg strength too....more resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.