Get your knees ready for a horseback hunt

Hey,

I'm going on my first horse back hunt this fall in Idaho. Always dreamed of a horse back as a kid, the problem is I really don't like horses much. Had some bad experiences with them as a teenager working on a farm. I am really looking forward to the hunt. So this thread has been helpful. I plan on trying to go riding a couple times before the hunt to kind of get prepped for this. Thanks for all the info.

Take Care, Rick

I can relate to this experience or discomfort. When hunting the Thorofare region of Wyoming, it takes us about 9 hours riding in or out and that is on a good day. And, about two days to get my legs back.

Luckily, I have never had knee issues and I ride nearly daily. I also ride in an oxbow . Oxbow stirrups are narrow and fit deep into you boot, resting on your boot heel.
This allows better alignment and you will sit straighter, it also allows the stirrup leathers to swing more freely .
You won't see this much unless you punch cows and in a stock saddle , dawn to dusk.
The downside- it is tougher to get in and out of , they are made for staying in . It will help reduce the stress on a riders knees, however...
just a thought.

I've found cycling to be an excellent cross-training activity when preparing for a couple of weeks in the saddle. This not only strengthens every muscle connected to the knee, it helps develop core strength and balance, which are both hugely important in the steep country.

It's no coincidence that 'saddle' is the proper term for a bike seat as well :)

Last edited:
I agree, cycling would be excellent.A hunter going on a pack trip had better do some form of leg strengthening and cardio work. Mountains are steep and once afoot he will be glad he did.
I keep fit during the wintertime and if I didn't I would not be able to do this....at 61

Having been on a few horseback hunts myself I'm sure you can attest to this. Make every attempt to be the lead horse of just behind the guide whenever possible. Especially when riding up a steep slope. Those trail horses like to "kick in the after burners" going up hill and its best to be in front of most of them.

I wish I had seen this thread this summer. I just finished my first elk horseback trip in the mountains of Wyoming and god did my right knee hurt from riding. My rear end never hurt once, which I attribute to countless hours on a spin bike the last couple years. When I go again next year, I am definitely going to try some of the stretches and strength exercises everyone here recommends.

Over the years my knees have given me a hard time on Horseback hunts. I stay in very good shape and still they bother me.

The last couple years I started to force myself to do more leg stretching throughout the year. I found that for me one stretch in particular has made the difference and I have much much less discomfort when riding now.

The muscles and tendons that run on the outside of my legs and knees are what get sore. The stretch that has fixed this for me is to squat down like a duck and stay there a long time and just get my rear end lower and lower and stretch out my knees. When I first started I could only squat down about three-quarters of the way because my knees wouldn't allow me to go any lower. I've gotten to the point where I can squat all the way down with pretty much no discomfort.

I was pretty amazed on our elk hunt a couple weeks ago how great my legs felt on the horse thanks to my improved flexibility.

This stretch may or may not help you but my point is that having your legs and lower body be nice and stretched out before heading on a horseback hunt can make a huge difference in your comfort and enjoyment.
stirrup height is paramount to less knee pain when riding. Slightly bent is usually the best. Adjust your stirrups until you find the mist comfortable position.
Swap out your horse for a mule if possible.
If you get in a tight spot a spooked horse can kill you, where a mule is much less likely to panic and react like a stupid horse. And mules are much more sure footed