Exercise for arthritic knees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My left knee has always give me problems. Also broke my right ankle 2yrs ago. Then this past January found out I had a light stroke. Thought my ankle was why I was walking funny. Long story short, iv been walking on my elliptical every day. Getting better 👍 Then in April my wife wanted an above ground pool. (I buy guns she buys a pool 😃) It's 4 foot deep and 20 ft in diameter. Lately iv been trying to run the edges for about 30 to 45 min. Stopping and treading water with my feet up. No more knee pain and even building strength and my balance. I think this I helping more than anything. If you have access to a pool, might want to give it a try. Working for me anyways.
Any lasting problems with the stroke?
My dad had one and didn't even know it and never missed a days work.

Has anyone here heard of Ben Patrick? He's more commonly known as the "knees over toes guy". I learned about him from a recent Joe Rogan podcast that featured him (episode #1766).

He played high school basketball and trashed his knees to the point that he had to quit playing. He loved the sport so much that he set out on a quest to figure out how he could rehabilitate his knees. What he learned went against every principle of athletic orthodoxy. Hence the "knees over toes" moniker.

Anyway, I am an MD, a musculoskeletal radiologist, and a bilateral total knee recipient. I wish I had learned what this guy teaches back when my knee pain first started.

Has anyone here heard of Ben Patrick? He's more commonly known as the "knees over toes guy". I learned about him from a recent Joe Rogan podcast that featured him (episode #1766).

He played high school basketball and trashed his knees to the point that he had to quit playing. He loved the sport so much that he set out on a quest to figure out how he could rehabilitate his knees. What he learned went against every principle of athletic orthodoxy. Hence the "knees over toes" moniker.

Anyway, I am an MD, a musculoskeletal radiologist, and a bilateral total knee recipient. I wish I had learned what this guy teaches back when my knee pain first started.
Good to hear this, I will look into it.

Just got back from watching his video's.Very interesting and I am going to try them.
I want my original knees as long as possible.

Just got back from watching his video's.Very interesting and I am going to try them.
I want my original knees as long as possible.
It is too late for me to save my original knees. But I have adopted his idea of dragging a sled backward. Looks stupid, but I drag my kid's trampoline across the lawn one way, then drag it back. I try to do it once a day. Get a lot of stares from passers by, but it works! I have had significant improvement in my knee stability and in my balance and strength. Even with both knees replaced, I can hike the mountains. I have no knee pain.

I did get an excellent result on my knee replacement. All orthopedic surgeons who replace knees are not equal in skill and experience. If anyone here is to the point where their only option is knee replacement surgery, check with the physical therapists in your area who help rehab post-knee replacement patients. They will tell you which surgeons get the best results.

If anyone is in or near the Salt Lake City area, I can refer you to a great knee surgeon.

That "knees over toes" is all very well. but I have looked at the videpw and dont see where he gets from not being able to just squat to where his excercises start. I cannot even squat down. To get on the floor I have to fall then to get back up I have to roll on my side and get myself on my hands and knees then use a chair to get vertical. I am not his age...I am 85 years old and can get no more than a 90 degree bend in my knees! Sitting on my heels is fiction.

That "knees over toes" is all very well. but I have looked at the videpw and dont see where he gets from not being able to just squat to where his excercises start. I cannot even squat down. To get on the floor I have to fall then to get back up I have to roll on my side and get myself on my hands and knees then use a chair to get vertical. I am not his age...I am 85 years old and can get no more than a 90 degree bend in my knees! Sitting on my heels is fiction.
He does note that the routine he and other elite level athletes use is not practical or safe for those of us climbing the age ladder. But he has established a low impact program that can be adapted to older people. I think he even did some videos that teach these techniques. I know they don't involve squatting or getting on the floor.

I'll do a some research and see if I can find these routines and reply to you. I need to know more about this as well.

Also watched the video and it is very interesting, stronger leg muscles take pressure off your knee joint. But if you go the sled route it looks like you need carpet or possibly artificial turf to smoothly run it on. Possibly some gym's in the area may have this but I have never notice one in the limited amount of gym's I've been in.

I think the sled-type things are at Crossfit gyms.

There are some at Amazon for home use.

Would going backward on an elliptical at a higher resistance be good for your knees ?

Status
Not open for further replies.