Everybody loves the WSM, so why are brass companies ignoring it?

When the wsm first came out there were usage/rights issues that came a long with it. That legacy seems to have started it off in the wrong foot and sorta kept it there.

For a long time we just dealt with norma as it was good enough, and now with adg we're covered ish. ..

The .300WSM is a great cartridge. I've got a few and they shoot great, especially for hunting. But, due to the design, it is not the best platform for the long range crowd, which is what is getting all the attention right now.

As good as the .300 WSm is, the 7mm WSM is even better but even more overlooked. I've been searching for a Kimber Montana in 7mm WSM, and they're are as scarce as hen's teeth.

Last edited:
This portion of the components industry is now controlled by the 'bottom line' bean counters. There is a plethora of mid-range cartridges demanding attention and the WSMs are not getting as much of that attention. Those cartridges selling at a higher rate and dollar value (profit margin) are the ones being produced so obviously the WSMs are taking a back seat.

As good as the .300 WSm is, the 7mm WSM is even better but even more overlooked. I've been searching for a Kimber Montana in 7mm WSM, and there are as scarce as hen's teeth.

Why wait? Find a favored gunsmith and have one built to your specifications. ;)

Enjoy!

:)

Understood.

But if the rifle design and that cartridge are on the long list for production, it might be a better choice.

Also consider that we are in the best place right now for having a larger selection of less expensive custom actions. There is also a broad selection of stocks, barrels and triggers for your choosing. It's possible that you could save some money by doing some of the work yourself.

Lots of avenues to look at to see where they might go.

:)

ADG makes quality brass for the WSM! If you can't find brass, or even if you can, take a look at the Sherman MEGA. Its an improved version of the wsm with a much longer neck and greater capacity. The 7mm version has a .334" long neck vs about 1/4" for the wsm and will run a 180 at 3200 from a 26" barrel. You don't have to worry about brass because I keep head stamped ADG brass in stock and have reamers and dies also.
I have a 300 and 338 version as well. The 300 has 85 capacity and a .342" neck vs 81 and .295" on a WSM.

Last edited:
So, elkaholic, will a mega run in a short action? Could I rebarrel my 7wsm to a 7 Mega, and reuse my action and magazine? Max length in my mag is 2.960 oal.
It will if a WSM will, but that said, I wouldn't unless you are planning on running spitzer style bullets or Hammers, it needs a mid or long action for best performance. Just like a WSM does.

Love my .300 WSM but it's a short action, so it does sort of limit me a bit. I've been using ADG brass with good results. For my 7MM project I decided to go with 7 PRC instead of 7 WSM or 7 SAUM due to present and future brass availability. I've already been able to find some ADG brass for the 7 PRC. Hoping that Lapua jumps on board as well. I've decided that before buying into any more new calibers I'm going to make sure brass availability is not going to be an issue.

I wonder if the 3" action is enough for 6mm-270 bullets. Twist and head height are old school, so some customization required..

Love my .300 WSM but it's a short action, so it does sort of limit me a bit. I've been using ADG brass with good results. For my 7MM project I decided to go with 7 PRC instead of 7 WSM or 7 SAUM due to present and future brass availability. I've already been able to find some ADG brass for the 7 PRC. Hoping that Lapua jumps on board as well. I've decided that before buying into any more new calibers I'm going to make sure brass availability is not going to be an issue.

Your about where I am. Buying brass powder and bullets before ordering dies. Then a rifle or barrel once I have enough. Reverse world but since 08 how it has to be done.

Recent Posts